Unexplained chalkings reported to UP
Five symbols that looked “out of the ordinary” were reported to University Police as being spotted across campus. Locations included near the Chemistry building, Interdisciplinary Sciences building, Student Services Breezeway and two near the Fine Arts Hall.
UP Public Information Officer Lt. Chris Daniel said police did not know how the chalkings appeared, but that the activity was no cause for concern. Police did not suspect ties to any groups with a malicious intent.
The largest and most intricate design was outside of the Student Services Breezeway.
The symbol at the middle of the pattern was the Leviathan Cross, or the Devil’s Cross, that is the alchemical sign for sulfur, or brimstone.
“And I saw when the lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying ‘Come and see,’” the drawing read. “And I saw, and behold, a white horse: and he that sat on him hid a bow, and a crowns was given onto him: and he went forth conquering and to conquer.”
This passage derives from Revelation 6:1 of the Book of Revelations, and represents the first seal that harnesses the rider on a white horse.
According to the Bible, John the Apostle envisioned seven seals that would usher in the apocalypse when opened. The first four seals would release the four horsemen as harbingers of the apocalypse.
As a precaution, Daniel said police tested the substance used to draw the symbols and found the chalk to contain no dangerous chemicals. Physical Plant subsequently cleaned the drawings.
Daniel said he was informed the other symbols around USF were smaller pentagram symbols and contained no text.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board