Unexplained chalkings reported to UP
Five symbols that looked “out of the ordinary” were reported to University Police as being spotted across campus. Locations included near the Chemistry building, Interdisciplinary Sciences building, Student Services Breezeway and two near the Fine Arts Hall.
UP Public Information Officer Lt. Chris Daniel said police did not know how the chalkings appeared, but that the activity was no cause for concern. Police did not suspect ties to any groups with a malicious intent.
The largest and most intricate design was outside of the Student Services Breezeway.
The symbol at the middle of the pattern was the Leviathan Cross, or the Devil’s Cross, that is the alchemical sign for sulfur, or brimstone.
“And I saw when the lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying ‘Come and see,’” the drawing read. “And I saw, and behold, a white horse: and he that sat on him hid a bow, and a crowns was given onto him: and he went forth conquering and to conquer.”
This passage derives from Revelation 6:1 of the Book of Revelations, and represents the first seal that harnesses the rider on a white horse.
According to the Bible, John the Apostle envisioned seven seals that would usher in the apocalypse when opened. The first four seals would release the four horsemen as harbingers of the apocalypse.
As a precaution, Daniel said police tested the substance used to draw the symbols and found the chalk to contain no dangerous chemicals. Physical Plant subsequently cleaned the drawings.
Daniel said he was informed the other symbols around USF were smaller pentagram symbols and contained no text.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities