Unexplained chalkings reported to UP

By Wesley Higgins, ASST. NEWS EDITOR
On April 22, 2014

Five symbols that looked “out of the ordinary” were reported to University Police as being spotted across campus. Locations included near the Chemistry building, Interdisciplinary Sciences building, Student Services Breezeway and two near the Fine Arts Hall.

UP Public Information Officer Lt. Chris Daniel said police did not know how the chalkings appeared, but that the activity was no cause for concern. Police did not suspect ties to any groups with a malicious intent.

The largest and most intricate design was outside of the Student Services Breezeway.

The symbol at the middle of the pattern was the Leviathan Cross, or the Devil’s Cross, that is the alchemical sign for sulfur, or brimstone.

“And I saw when the lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying ‘Come and see,’” the drawing read. “And I saw, and behold, a white horse: and he that sat on him hid a bow, and a crowns was given onto him: and he went forth conquering and to conquer.”

This passage derives from Revelation 6:1 of the Book of Revelations, and represents the first seal that harnesses the rider on a white horse.

According to the Bible, John the Apostle envisioned seven seals that would usher in the apocalypse when opened. The first four seals would release the four horsemen as harbingers of the apocalypse.

As a precaution, Daniel said police tested the substance used to draw the symbols and found the chalk to contain no dangerous chemicals. Physical Plant subsequently cleaned the drawings.

Daniel said he was informed the other symbols around USF were smaller pentagram symbols and contained no text.