Tulsa eliminates USF from tournament
It came down to overtime for the mens soccer team against the 11th-seeded Tulsa in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday night.
With 2:15 remaining in the period, a foul was called inside the goalies box against USF that set up a penalty kick for Tulsas Omar Mata, who kicked the ball into the back of the net as the Golden Hurricane ended the Bulls season 1-0 in overtime.
Senior midfielder Sebastian Thuriere said he was proud of his teammates for their work over the weekend. The Bulls defeated Florida Gulf Coast in penalty kicks in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday night.
Im proud of the boys because through it all, we always stuck together, Thuriere said. We came out with a good win on Thursday and I thought we had the momentum to come out with another win tonight, but thats how the game goes. It just happens how it how happens.
Coach George Kiefer said he felt his team had a chance to win.
I felt like we were good enough to win tonight, but we didnt get that done, Kiefer said.
In the first half, both teams came out of the gate with many opportunities to score including two shots by senior midfielder Kevin Olali that went wide and one shot by sophomore midfielder Wesley Charpie that hit the goal post. Senior midfielder Kyle Nicholls came close to putting the Bulls on the scoreboard, but his shot was saved.
USF entered halftime with five shots, including one shot on goal, and Tulsa ended with four shots.
USF continued where it left off, attacking the ball and playing aggressively on defense, holding the Golden Hurricane to only two shots in the half.
USF had an opportunity to score when Thuriere passed through a couple Golden Hurricane defenders, creating a one-on-one opportunity with the goalkeeper. He kicked the ball, but it bounced off the goalkeepers chest.
It was a great ball from Samuel (Hosseini) and he put over the top and I made a run and I was more fortunate to put a flick on the ball, Thuriere said. It touched over the guys head.
In overtime, Tulsa slowed down USFs attack and created shots before hitting in the game-winning kick to advance to the third round.
With seven seniors playing their last game as Bulls, Kiefer said the class set a bar for the younger players on the team.
Theyve been to four straight NCAAs, theyve been to Elite Eight twice, they won the Big East Championship, Kiefer said. They set a high standard where the next group of seniors who can do
better than that will have a Final Four under their belt.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Students warned not to sign up for GetStudyRoom.com
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
- Z Baked provides warm cookies on demand
- Addicted to Apple: a dire diagnosis for millennials
- USF partners with World Health Organization
- Speaker sees astronomy through historical lens
- Bulls aim to bounce back on homestand
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses