Trivial violations should not overshadow student voice
When the student body presidential elections were announced the Friday before spring break, it seemed counterintuitive that the candidate with the most votes was not named president.
This is no Bush-Gore saga; there isn’t even an electoral vote to point fingers at this time. Jean Cocco, who won the vote count with 52 percent of the votes, was disqualified based on four campaign violations by the Election Rules Commission (ERC).
While indeed it is important for campaigning rules to be in place for a fair election, it is perhaps worthy of examining if the bigger picture may be lost in looking at what some of the
One violation — held against both the Brandi Arnold campaign and the Cocco campaign — was in relation to working links to the Student Government (SG) voting website that were not clearly visible on promotional materials of the campaign. Should something like this count louder than the student vote?
Another violation was in regards to using a celebrity to endorse a campaign, in Cocco’s case former Gov. Charlie Crist. Yet the term “celebrity” is vaguely defined within SG statutes and seems to be a questionable rule to begin with. A campaign endorsement from Crist, an average student or Kim Kardashian should be irrelevant to how a student casts his or her vote; assuming otherwise is something of an insult to students’
It is important that these election rules are evaluated within the context of campaigning. Ideally that is the function of an ERC, an entity that has proven to be chockfull of procedural errors and mishaps this year, from using wrong templates for their documents to possibly reverting to an evaluation process from several years ago.
Checks and balances are important to any political process, but it is essential they don’t lose sight of the bigger picture at hand.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board