Time for some football
“Isn’t it great this time of year?”
It’s the question USF coach Willie Taggart asks himself each year.
Saturday is when it all happens.
“It’s when football season comes around,” Taggart said. “It’s amazing. This entire country is fired up. It’s amazing how it works.”
USF’s season opener at home this Saturday against McNeese State is now a reality. With a New conference, new starters, new coaches this freshman class brought in not only new players, but also some new fans as well.
Even the tough, fired-up, self-proclaimed blue collar coach Taggart can’t contain his emotions, which resemble a roller coaster.
“I’ve been anxious since we’ve been allowed to get back with our guys, “ Taggart said. “I have mixed emotions. I go up and down. Why? I have no idea, but it happens every year.”
Taggart isn’t the only one relishing in the excitement either.
Offensive coordinator Walt Wells said USF has been ready for Week 1 of the schedule, and now is when reviewing comes in — along with some fun.
“Game week is always fun week,” Wells said. “For the first week you always have your game plan ready in the summer and now you just go back and review what you’ve done.”
With a completely new game plan heading into 2013, preparation has been heavily focused on in the offseason.
Taggart brings in a new offense led by two new starters to the offense in redshirt sophomore quarterback Matt Floyd and senior runningback Marcus Shaw behind what is said to be a young, yet strong, offensive line.
On defense, fans will get to see some new faces and some old, such as longtime starting linebacker, senior Devekeyan “DeDe” Lattimore and Notre Dame transfer, defensive end Aaron Lynch.
But that’s just from a fan’s perspective while Taggart on the other hand is setting his mindset a bit simpler.
“I’m just ready to see our guys go out and play some football.” Taggart said.
Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at Raymond James Stadium.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses