Time for some football
“Isn’t it great this time of year?”
It’s the question USF coach Willie Taggart asks himself each year.
Saturday is when it all happens.
“It’s when football season comes around,” Taggart said. “It’s amazing. This entire country is fired up. It’s amazing how it works.”
USF’s season opener at home this Saturday against McNeese State is now a reality. With a New conference, new starters, new coaches this freshman class brought in not only new players, but also some new fans as well.
Even the tough, fired-up, self-proclaimed blue collar coach Taggart can’t contain his emotions, which resemble a roller coaster.
“I’ve been anxious since we’ve been allowed to get back with our guys, “ Taggart said. “I have mixed emotions. I go up and down. Why? I have no idea, but it happens every year.”
Taggart isn’t the only one relishing in the excitement either.
Offensive coordinator Walt Wells said USF has been ready for Week 1 of the schedule, and now is when reviewing comes in — along with some fun.
“Game week is always fun week,” Wells said. “For the first week you always have your game plan ready in the summer and now you just go back and review what you’ve done.”
With a completely new game plan heading into 2013, preparation has been heavily focused on in the offseason.
Taggart brings in a new offense led by two new starters to the offense in redshirt sophomore quarterback Matt Floyd and senior runningback Marcus Shaw behind what is said to be a young, yet strong, offensive line.
On defense, fans will get to see some new faces and some old, such as longtime starting linebacker, senior Devekeyan “DeDe” Lattimore and Notre Dame transfer, defensive end Aaron Lynch.
But that’s just from a fan’s perspective while Taggart on the other hand is setting his mindset a bit simpler.
“I’m just ready to see our guys go out and play some football.” Taggart said.
Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at Raymond James Stadium.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Lightning’s Student Rush program continues to grow
- A look at the 2016-17 A&S budget
- Path to preeminence prompts office integration
- It’s time colleges reform their application process
- Freshman pitcher finds his stride in the bullpen
- Rise and shine: The awakening of USF’s sleeping giant
- Bedbugs found in USF business classrooms
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
- Rolling Stones Exhibit Rocks Music Fans
- Enhance Your Summer Look With These Style Tips
- Hearing Loss Takes Center Stage With Free Test
- The Big Showdown Over Fingerprinting Uber and Lyft Drivers
- Encryption - Why It Matters to You
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere