The vote that may not have been
David Johnson, a USF history professor, left the same residence he has lived in for six years at 10 a.m. Tuesday to vote in the same county he has been registered to vote in for nine years.
But when he reached the polling location, he was told he could only receive a provisional ballot. A poll worker told him he was not on the roster.
The date of birth and voter identification number Johnson provided, another poll worker told him, belonged to a David Johnson who lived in Orlando. Johnson said he was not the only one being told that he could only vote provisionally.
Johnson, who was scheduled to speak about voter suppression to a BBC panel on campus later Tuesday night, was indignant.
There is very little evidence of actual voter fraud, he said. What they end up doing is keeping legitimate voters away, and I think its designed todo that.
So he called the Tampa Bay Times, which posted a story about Johnsons case at1:25 p.m. Tuesday.
By 3 p.m. Johnson said he received a call from Earl Lennard, Supervisor of Elections in Hillsborough County, who told him his vote would be counted. There had been a mistake, and his records were moved to Orange County, where a David L. Johnson did indeed live.
But Johnson said while he is relieved his vote will count, he thinks the role of the media presence had something to do with it and isnt sure about the status of the rest of the votes.
The Supervisor of Elections the Supervisor of Elections himself gave me a call, Johnson said. I got a call from the Supervisor of Elections, but not everybody else did.
He is still skeptical, he said.
Its pretty sloppy at the least, even if its not designed to prevent people from voting, he said. Its prettysuspicious.
Travis Abercrombie,public information coordinator for the Hillsborough County Supervisor of Elections office, said the case was the only such case he had heard of Tuesday.
But the history professor got a lesson of his own.
I understood what it was like to feel disenfranchised, he said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Cosplayers to suit up for Tampa Bay Comic Con
- Search continues for graves at Dozier
- USF Athletics: What you might have missed this summer
- Pujol represents Bulls in FIBA World Cup
- The health consequences of a night with Netflix
- Colleges should worry about losing funding over Title IX violations
- Renovations revitalize USF Bookstore
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit