Temple Terrace mayor declares Skip Holtz Day
As USF football coach Skip Holtz prepared for his weekly radio show on 98.7 FM to talk about Saturdays game against Pittsburgh, he seemed surprised to see Temple Terrace Mayor Frank Chillura and City Council members Grant Rimbey and David Pogorilich in attendance.
Though the football team has gone 3-8 this season its worst record in school history Chillura declared the day, Nov. 27, as Skip Holtz Day to honor Holtzs commitment to the Temple Terrace area and or deciding to host his show in the Temple Terrace Beef O Bradys.
We appreciate that Skip chose to host his show in our town, Chillura said. Due to our close proximity, we look forward to working more with the USF community in the future.
Chillura made the announcement minutes before Holtz and co-hosts Jim Louk and Mark Robinson were set to broadcast, saying he wanted to partner more with USF in the future.
Holtz, who moved around to many different locations to host his show, said Beef O Bradys seemed like the nicest place to do it. He seemed surprised but grateful, to have the day named in his honor.
Though Holtz recognized the season hasnt been USFs finest, he said the team needs to continue to move forward and build.
Everything isnt always going to go our way, he said during the show. But my favorite memories of this team and its senior class would have to be the way that they handled this adversity.
In a press release earlier on Tuesday, Chillura encouraged fans and students to watch the show in the Bulls Pen at Beef O Bradys. About 50 people, including alumni and students, were in attendance to watch Holtzs last show of the season, and the Bulls coach and Chillura took time to talk with residents and students.
As the show wound down, a humbled Holtz stood up, thanked the crowd and announced he would pay for everyones meals.
It is unclear whether Skip Holtz Day will occur annually.
EDITOR'S NOTE: The previous version of this story stated that USF's football record was 8-3, whichis incorrect. The current record is3-8. The story has been updated to reflect the correct stat.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
- Celebra una fiesta de Posadas inolvidable para tu familia...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities