Temple Terrace mayor declares Skip Holtz Day
As USF football coach Skip Holtz prepared for his weekly radio show on 98.7 FM to talk about Saturdays game against Pittsburgh, he seemed surprised to see Temple Terrace Mayor Frank Chillura and City Council members Grant Rimbey and David Pogorilich in attendance.
Though the football team has gone 3-8 this season its worst record in school history Chillura declared the day, Nov. 27, as Skip Holtz Day to honor Holtzs commitment to the Temple Terrace area and or deciding to host his show in the Temple Terrace Beef O Bradys.
We appreciate that Skip chose to host his show in our town, Chillura said. Due to our close proximity, we look forward to working more with the USF community in the future.
Chillura made the announcement minutes before Holtz and co-hosts Jim Louk and Mark Robinson were set to broadcast, saying he wanted to partner more with USF in the future.
Holtz, who moved around to many different locations to host his show, said Beef O Bradys seemed like the nicest place to do it. He seemed surprised but grateful, to have the day named in his honor.
Though Holtz recognized the season hasnt been USFs finest, he said the team needs to continue to move forward and build.
Everything isnt always going to go our way, he said during the show. But my favorite memories of this team and its senior class would have to be the way that they handled this adversity.
In a press release earlier on Tuesday, Chillura encouraged fans and students to watch the show in the Bulls Pen at Beef O Bradys. About 50 people, including alumni and students, were in attendance to watch Holtzs last show of the season, and the Bulls coach and Chillura took time to talk with residents and students.
As the show wound down, a humbled Holtz stood up, thanked the crowd and announced he would pay for everyones meals.
It is unclear whether Skip Holtz Day will occur annually.
EDITOR'S NOTE: The previous version of this story stated that USF's football record was 8-3, whichis incorrect. The current record is3-8. The story has been updated to reflect the correct stat.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Cosplayers to suit up for Tampa Bay Comic Con
- Search continues for graves at Dozier
- USF Athletics: What you might have missed this summer
- Pujol represents Bulls in FIBA World Cup
- The health consequences of a night with Netflix
- Colleges should worry about losing funding over Title IX violations
- Renovations revitalize USF Bookstore
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?