Temple Terrace mayor declares Skip Holtz Day
As USF football coach Skip Holtz prepared for his weekly radio show on 98.7 FM to talk about Saturdays game against Pittsburgh, he seemed surprised to see Temple Terrace Mayor Frank Chillura and City Council members Grant Rimbey and David Pogorilich in attendance.
Though the football team has gone 3-8 this season its worst record in school history Chillura declared the day, Nov. 27, as Skip Holtz Day to honor Holtzs commitment to the Temple Terrace area and or deciding to host his show in the Temple Terrace Beef O Bradys.
We appreciate that Skip chose to host his show in our town, Chillura said. Due to our close proximity, we look forward to working more with the USF community in the future.
Chillura made the announcement minutes before Holtz and co-hosts Jim Louk and Mark Robinson were set to broadcast, saying he wanted to partner more with USF in the future.
Holtz, who moved around to many different locations to host his show, said Beef O Bradys seemed like the nicest place to do it. He seemed surprised but grateful, to have the day named in his honor.
Though Holtz recognized the season hasnt been USFs finest, he said the team needs to continue to move forward and build.
Everything isnt always going to go our way, he said during the show. But my favorite memories of this team and its senior class would have to be the way that they handled this adversity.
In a press release earlier on Tuesday, Chillura encouraged fans and students to watch the show in the Bulls Pen at Beef O Bradys. About 50 people, including alumni and students, were in attendance to watch Holtzs last show of the season, and the Bulls coach and Chillura took time to talk with residents and students.
As the show wound down, a humbled Holtz stood up, thanked the crowd and announced he would pay for everyones meals.
It is unclear whether Skip Holtz Day will occur annually.
EDITOR'S NOTE: The previous version of this story stated that USF's football record was 8-3, whichis incorrect. The current record is3-8. The story has been updated to reflect the correct stat.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Mack carries Bulls in season opener
- USF researchers take on true ALS challenge
- Artists to bridge gap for Muslim, Arab cultures
- USF women’s soccer captures first season win against FGCU
- End-of-summer movies fall into theaters
- #100happydays might be difficult to achieve
- Higher education continues to lack diversity
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care