TB case reported on USF campus
A case of tuberculosis has been confirmed on the USF Tampa campus, according to an email sent to students Tuesday morning by Dean for Students Michael Freeman.
The email states the affected student is being treated in isolation by the Hillsborough County Health Department TB unit. Ninety students were reported to be at risk of exposure, and have been notified by the county health department to be tested.
“Given USF's population of more than 40,000 and the number of TB cases reported annually in Hillsborough County, the occurrence is not out of the statistical norm ... The last case of TB on campus was in May of 2012 and appears to be unrelated to the current incidence,” the email stated.
TB is an airborne disease that affects the lungs and can cause serious illness. According to the emailed statement, TB is spread when an infected person repeatedly coughs, talks, or sneezes untreated TB germs into the air and only persons who have had very close, day-to-day, contact with the infected person run the risk of contracting the disease.
If concerned, students may call the Student Health Services nurse line at 813-974-1797.
— Staff report
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Prenatal Vitamin Your Mom Wishes She Had
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE