TB case reported on USF campus
A case of tuberculosis has been confirmed on the USF Tampa campus, according to an email sent to students Tuesday morning by Dean for Students Michael Freeman.
The email states the affected student is being treated in isolation by the Hillsborough County Health Department TB unit. Ninety students were reported to be at risk of exposure, and have been notified by the county health department to be tested.
“Given USF's population of more than 40,000 and the number of TB cases reported annually in Hillsborough County, the occurrence is not out of the statistical norm ... The last case of TB on campus was in May of 2012 and appears to be unrelated to the current incidence,” the email stated.
TB is an airborne disease that affects the lungs and can cause serious illness. According to the emailed statement, TB is spread when an infected person repeatedly coughs, talks, or sneezes untreated TB germs into the air and only persons who have had very close, day-to-day, contact with the infected person run the risk of contracting the disease.
If concerned, students may call the Student Health Services nurse line at 813-974-1797.
— Staff report
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board