TB case reported on USF campus
A case of tuberculosis has been confirmed on the USF Tampa campus, according to an email sent to students Tuesday morning by Dean for Students Michael Freeman.
The email states the affected student is being treated in isolation by the Hillsborough County Health Department TB unit. Ninety students were reported to be at risk of exposure, and have been notified by the county health department to be tested.
“Given USF's population of more than 40,000 and the number of TB cases reported annually in Hillsborough County, the occurrence is not out of the statistical norm ... The last case of TB on campus was in May of 2012 and appears to be unrelated to the current incidence,” the email stated.
TB is an airborne disease that affects the lungs and can cause serious illness. According to the emailed statement, TB is spread when an infected person repeatedly coughs, talks, or sneezes untreated TB germs into the air and only persons who have had very close, day-to-day, contact with the infected person run the risk of contracting the disease.
If concerned, students may call the Student Health Services nurse line at 813-974-1797.
— Staff report
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge