Students freeze fashion runway

Fashion should be inclusive, not exclusive, and the idea of having guests leave feeling like fashion can be for everyone is the main focus of the “Freeze The Runway” fashion and art expo, hosted by the fashion Executives, a student organization focused on the fashion industry.

The expo, which will take place in the Marshall Student Center Ballroom, will showcase the pieces of designers in the group and offer a networking opportunity with vendors and designers for those in attendance.

“We are pretty much trying to empower and encourage different fashion advocates to probably pursue a career in fashion because some people are interested, but they just don’t know how,” Michelle Almonor, vice president of the organization and a sophomore majoring in marketing, said.

The Fashion Executives also hope to put Tampa, which is not as highlighted as other major cities around the country or even the world, on the fashion radar.

“When you think of fashion, you think of New York City,” Melizza Williams, casting director and a senior majoring in marketing, said. “You think of Milan and Paris, and you don’t really think of Tampa Bay, but there is a fashion community and it is growing.”

The show will feature a variety of designers and models, including men, women, children and plus-sized models.

“Fashion is not just clothes and what you wear,” Bianca Marc, public relations chair and a senior majoring in mass communications, said. “It’s who you are and how you feel when you wake up in the morning.”

Designers for the show were chosen through networking with contacts that board members had in the Tampa Bay area. Sponsors for the fashion show include the Paul Mitchell School of Tampa, Olive Garden, Taylor Rental and more.

The clothes will not only feature winter attire, but will also cover a broad range of styles.

“We are trying to bring a New York style fashion show to Tampa Bay and that means the straight catwalk, European style and with the looks, we wanted to bring New York to Florida,” Williams said.

General admission and VIP tickets are available for the event. VIP tickets include goodie bags, front row seats, access to the lounge and guaranteed food and drinks. Tickets for the event can be
purchased for $5 and $10 online or $7 and $15 at the door. Doors open Friday at 4:45 p.m.