Stadium unfinished, USF heads to Clearwater
With construction on its new stadium not yet completed, the USF softball season opens this weekend at the Eddie C. Moore Complex in Clearwater.
North Carolina State, Marshall, Long Island, Florida Gulf Coast and No. 5 Florida will compete against the Bulls in the three-day Wilson DeMarini Tournament Championship.
USF and newly appointed USA national team coach Ken Eriksen said he believes he has his lineup sorted and ready for its opening weekend of competition, though he is likely to use four different starting pitchers.
Freshman left-hander Sara Nevins, who won all-state softball Player of the Year last year at Pinellas Park High School, is likely to make her collegiate debut this weekend.
A trio of right-handers - junior Brittany Bowles, redshirt junior Capri Catalano and sophomore Lindsey Richar- dson- will join Nevins in a powerful platoon of pitchers at Eriksen's disposal throughout the season.
"Any coach that tells you when you're pitching strong, you get a great night's sleep," Eriksen said to the St. Petersburg Times. "And I am right now."
Other than Nevins, three freshmen are expected to be regular starters for the Bulls this season. Kourtney Salvarola from Arnold, Md., is likely the everyday shortstop for Eriksen. Local products Ashli Goff from Sickles High School and Stephanie Medina from Chamberlain High School are expected to start in left field and at first base, respectively.
USF was supposed to play N.C. State in the season opener tonight, but that game was canceled for undisclosed reasons. USF will now open its season with a doubleheader against the Marshall Thundering Herd on Friday at 4 p.m. before playing Long Island at 6 p.m.
The Bulls also play twice Saturday beginning with Flor- ida Gulf Coast at 3 p.m. before facing N.C. State at 5 p.m.
A meeting with No. 5 Florida looms Sunday at 1 p.m. The Gators have qualified for the Women's College World Series in each of the last three seasons.
All USF home games will be played in Clearwater until Feb. 24, when the Bulls open their new stadium with a game against Central Connecticut.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists