USF scores in ninth to top Bethune-Cookman
On a night that seemed like dj vu for a USF baseball team that couldnt get over the hump in midweek games, the Bulls were saved by the late heroics of a freshman pinch hitter.
Buddy Putnam delivered late in the game for USF, which beat the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 4-3.
Putnam entered the game as a ninth-inning pinch hitter with two outs and James Ramsay standing on second base, hitting a 3-2 pitch back through the middle of the diamond, scoring Ramsay as the eventual game-winning run.
Good teams win one-run ball games, coach Lelo Prado said. Im happy with this, a good win for us, and we struggled in midweek games, so it was big.
Just seven days after the bullpen couldnt deliver the Bulls a much-needed victory over Stetson, the team faced the same situation in Daytona against the Wildcats, who had beaten the Bulls twice in three games in Tampa earlier this season.
Ramsay delivered two early RBIs, giving the Bulls a 2-0 lead in the third inning.
Ramsay was big for us right from the start, Prado said. You know, he came in and he started us off with two big RBIs.
The Wildcats fought back to tie the game in the bottom half of the third inning.
Freshman Kyle Teaf tripled for the first time in his career in the top of the sixth, and was brought home by Luis Llerena on a sac fly in what looked like the game-deciding run. The Wildcats, however, had other ideas.
The Wildcats tied the game at three in the bottom of the eighth inning.
Putnams ninth-inning RBI gave the Bulls a slim lead, needing three outs for a win. Gonzalez delivered for the Bulls in the bottom of the ninth, though not without suspense. Catcher Carlos Delgado led off with a walk, but Gonzalez retired the Wildcats with a groundout, strikeout and flyout.
The Bulls now return home to take on Louisville in a three-game weekend set beginning Friday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge