USF scores in ninth to top Bethune-Cookman
On a night that seemed like dj vu for a USF baseball team that couldnt get over the hump in midweek games, the Bulls were saved by the late heroics of a freshman pinch hitter.
Buddy Putnam delivered late in the game for USF, which beat the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 4-3.
Putnam entered the game as a ninth-inning pinch hitter with two outs and James Ramsay standing on second base, hitting a 3-2 pitch back through the middle of the diamond, scoring Ramsay as the eventual game-winning run.
Good teams win one-run ball games, coach Lelo Prado said. Im happy with this, a good win for us, and we struggled in midweek games, so it was big.
Just seven days after the bullpen couldnt deliver the Bulls a much-needed victory over Stetson, the team faced the same situation in Daytona against the Wildcats, who had beaten the Bulls twice in three games in Tampa earlier this season.
Ramsay delivered two early RBIs, giving the Bulls a 2-0 lead in the third inning.
Ramsay was big for us right from the start, Prado said. You know, he came in and he started us off with two big RBIs.
The Wildcats fought back to tie the game in the bottom half of the third inning.
Freshman Kyle Teaf tripled for the first time in his career in the top of the sixth, and was brought home by Luis Llerena on a sac fly in what looked like the game-deciding run. The Wildcats, however, had other ideas.
The Wildcats tied the game at three in the bottom of the eighth inning.
Putnams ninth-inning RBI gave the Bulls a slim lead, needing three outs for a win. Gonzalez delivered for the Bulls in the bottom of the ninth, though not without suspense. Catcher Carlos Delgado led off with a walk, but Gonzalez retired the Wildcats with a groundout, strikeout and flyout.
The Bulls now return home to take on Louisville in a three-game weekend set beginning Friday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- As USF football surges forward, winless UCF hobbles toward finish line
- USF men's basketball tops Albany for first win of season
- USF professor goes viral for comments on friend requests
- Tampa sees rise in income inequality
- Yogurt, the front-line defense against Type 1 diabetes?
- USF’s new policy not in employees’ best interest
- Open mic discusses impact of suicide
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The INs and OUTs of a Hospital Stay
- The Movie Studio Reveals New Opportunities for Indie...
- Brighten Your Holidays With LED Lights
- Tell Congress to Protect Paper Investor Reports
- Climb Stairs Without Hurting Yourself
- Is Your Baby Ready for Chewing?
- Millennials Are Determined to Lessen Their Kids' College...
- Organizar Un Maratón De La Película Star...
- Know Your Drug Costs Before You Leave the Doctor's Office
- Shopping for a New Sofa? Keep These Design Tips in Mind