USF rallies past Seton Hall
The USF women's basketball team rallied in the second half Wednesday, erasing a 12-point deficit against Seton Hall and winning 57-45 in the Campus Recreation Center.
With the win, USF(12-9, 4-3) sweeps theseason series with Seton Hall and matches its win total from last season. The win moved USF to 6-2 at home on theseason.
"With our record, we can't afford to lose any more home games," coach Jose Fernandez said. "We have to protect our home."
The Bulls trailed by five atthe break, and a 9-2 Seton Hall run to start the second halfleft the Bulls trailing by
12 with 15:52 remaining in the game. It was at that point that the defense intensified and the shooters began finding the basket. USF ripped off a22-3 run over the next 9:41 to take firm control of the game.
Seton Hall led throughoutthe first half, taking animposing 14-9 lead early as the Bulls struggled to findtheir shooting groove, hittingonly 20 percent of their field goals in the first half. USF's poor shooting extendedoutside the 3-point arc aswell, where the Bulls went1-of-14 on the night.
Though Seton Hall managedto outrebound the Bulls 37-36,USF had no trouble takingthe ball from the Pirate
offense, tallying 16 steals,five of which came fromsenior guard Jasmine Wynne.
Wynne's hustle to the ball on defense was only matched by her play on offense, where she scored 19 points to lead all scorers. It was her17th consecutive double-figure scoring night.
"It was a tough one," Wynne said. "We already knew they were going to come out toplay because we beat them
last time at their home. We didn't come out of the locker room with energy, but when we were down by 12, thelight really came on. Itshouldn't be like that, but it came on."
After a three-gamehomestand, USF now hasto hit the road for a difficult trip to No. 3 Connecticut on Saturday. Tipoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- ‘Jurassic World’ brings dino excitement back to life
- Haitian students to lead discussion on Caribbean migration crisis
- Schools share strategies for student success
- SCOTUS ruling not a personal attack against conservatives
- Woulard announces transfer to USF
- Antigua fills void with Penn State transfer
- Taggart adds offensive line depth
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
- Know Your Pipe Type And Catch Leaks Early
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'