USF preparing for late season run

By By Mike Mallory, CORRESPONDENT
On October 25, 2012

With only five conference games remaining until the Big East tournament, the pressure on the USF volleyball team is mounting.

The Bulls (5-5) are in seventh place, with the top eight teams advancing to the conference tournament. Seeds five and six are tied at six wins each.

Coach Courtney Draper said while its tempting to monitor other teams in the conference, she wants to make sure her team has the proper mindset as it faces DePaul (2-7) on Fri- day night.

For us, its one match at a time, she said. DePauls re- cord isnt good but we cannot overlook them for a second. They are taking the best teams in our conference to four or five sets.

The Bulls will play Notre Dame (8-1) on Sunday in the second game of what could be the most important weekend series this season.

The Fighting Irish rank in the top five in the conference in hitting, kills and assists, but the Bulls have shown an of- fensive prowess recently that could match up well with Notre Dames defense.

In last weekends matches, Draper said the Bulls passed very well in the four sets they had success in, and struggled in the other sets where they did not pass well.

It doesnt matter if its 10-year-olds, 20-year-olds or professionals. When you pass and serve well, you will be successful, Draper said. So were working on that a lot in practice.

The team will be on the roadduring homecoming weekend. Draper said she sees it as more of a gained opportunity than a missed one.

The girls prioritize well,she said. Were on the road during homecoming represent- ing the athletics program, so we better make the most of it.

By Mike