USF loses Snyder to Texas A&M, SEC
After two years in theposition, USF defensive coordinator Mark Snyder has left SkipHoltz'sstaff to take the same position at Texas A&M under newly-hired coach KevinSumlin.
Snyder arrived in Tampa after a stint as head coach at Marshall University, his alma mater, and led the Bullsdefense to the 39th spot nationally last season, yielding 351.3 yards per game.
Prior to his return to Marshall, where he playedlinebacker and become agraduate assistant, Snyder worked atUCF, Youngstown State, Minnesota and OhioState. Snyder andSumlinworked on the same stafftogether at Minnesota in 1996 and 1997, where Snyder was defensive ends coach andSumlinwas wide receivers coach (1996) and quarterbackscoach (1997).
Snyder will help the Aggies transition to the Southeastern Conference, widely acknowledged as the best conference in the nation.
The new coordinator, once hired, will be USF's fourthin five seasons, followingWally Burnham, JoeTreseyand Snyder.
Men's basketball loses
After hanging tough formost of the first half, themen's basketball team letNotre Dame pull away Tuesdaynight in South Bend,Ind.,losing 60-49.
With 1:10 remaining in the first half, USF trailed 26-24, but the Fighting Irish closed the half strong, taking asix-point lead into the break.
From there, Notre Dame would keep control of the game, expanding the leadwith help from junior JackCooley's 16 points and senior Scott Martin, who finishedwith 15 points and13 rebounds. USF neverled the game.
USF was led by seniorAugustusGilchrist, whoscored 15 points and collectedfive rebounds, as the Bullsfell to 9-8 overall and 2-2 inthe Big East.
Freshman point guardAnthony Collins, who was a question mark for the gameafter sustaining a concussionlast Thursday againstVillanova, was able to startthe game and play 28 minutes.
USF now returns to theTampa Bay Times Forum for a Friday night game against Seton Hall.
According tochicagohoops.com,former USF point guardLavonteDority, who left the team in December after seeing his minutes decrease, has a long list of suitors as he searches for a new school.
He is being recruited by Northern Illinois, Valparaiso, Florida International, Ohio, Cleveland State and SouthernCalifornia and has visitedNIUandValpo.
IfDorityremains at the Division I level, he will sit out next season and havetwo years of eligibilityremaining with his new school.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Three students report armed robbery
- Bulls suffer first home defeat against No. 8 Washington
- Fairs leads Bulls to two-win weekend
- Artists keep what fans love
- Bulls edge UConn in conference opener
- Students warned not to sign up for GetStudyRoom.com
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections