USF loses Snyder to Texas A&M, SEC

By Michael Manganello SPORTS EDITOR
On January 11, 2012

After two years in theposition, USF defensive coordinator Mark Snyder has left SkipHoltz'sstaff to take the same position at Texas A&M under newly-hired coach KevinSumlin.

Snyder arrived in Tampa after a stint as head coach at Marshall University, his alma mater, and led the Bullsdefense to the 39th spot nationally last season, yielding 351.3 yards per game.

Prior to his return to Marshall, where he playedlinebacker and become agraduate assistant, Snyder worked atUCF, Youngstown State, Minnesota and OhioState. Snyder andSumlinworked on the same stafftogether at Minnesota in 1996 and 1997, where Snyder was defensive ends coach andSumlinwas wide receivers coach (1996) and quarterbackscoach (1997).

Snyder will help the Aggies transition to the Southeastern Conference, widely acknowledged as the best conference in the nation.

The new coordinator, once hired, will be USF's fourthin five seasons, followingWally Burnham, JoeTreseyand Snyder.

Men's basketball loses

After hanging tough formost of the first half, themen's basketball team letNotre Dame pull away Tuesdaynight in South Bend,Ind.,losing 60-49.

With 1:10 remaining in the first half, USF trailed 26-24, but the Fighting Irish closed the half strong, taking asix-point lead into the break.

From there, Notre Dame would keep control of the game, expanding the leadwith help from junior JackCooley's 16 points and senior Scott Martin, who finishedwith 15 points and13 rebounds. USF neverled the game.

USF was led by seniorAugustusGilchrist, whoscored 15 points and collectedfive rebounds, as the Bullsfell to 9-8 overall and 2-2 inthe Big East.

Freshman point guardAnthony Collins, who was a question mark for the gameafter sustaining a concussionlast Thursday againstVillanova, was able to startthe game and play 28 minutes.

USF now returns to theTampa Bay Times Forum for a Friday night game against Seton Hall.

Doritybeing recruited

According tochicagohoops.com,former USF point guardLavonteDority, who left the team in December after seeing his minutes decrease, has a long list of suitors as he searches for a new school.

He is being recruited by Northern Illinois, Valparaiso, Florida International, Ohio, Cleveland State and SouthernCalifornia and has visitedNIUandValpo.

IfDorityremains at the Division I level, he will sit out next season and havetwo years of eligibilityremaining with his new school.