USF couldnt find its shot at Seton Hall

By By Adam Fenster, SPORTS EDITOR
On January 24, 2013

The Bulls (10-8, 1-5) couldnt get into a groove on the roadWednesday night as USF fell to Seton Hall, 55-47, in a game that featured a lopsided first half from an offensive standpoint.

While the Bulls took good care of the ball throughout the game, turning it over just five times in the first half, forcing eight out of the Pirates (13-6, 2-4) and only getting out-rebounded 14-13, the Bulls simply couldnt get the ball in the net.

Though going just 32 percent from the field in the first half isnt shocking, considering that the Bulls sit at the bottom of the conference, shooting 38 percent in Big East play, it was the deep ball that hurt USF.

After Saturdays game against Georgetown that showed a USF team which simply couldnt miss from beyond the arch, last nights game proved a team cant live off three-pointers.

The Bulls tossed up 10 shots from three-point range but only two were made. By the final buzzer, USF ended up going 3-19 from deep.

With the Bulls struggling early on, Seton Hall took no time finding the basket.

The Pirates ended the first half shooting 60 percent from three-point land similar success to USFs second half against the Hoyas.

Seton Hall matched its performance in shooting threes as thePirates also went 60 percent from the field.

With hopes of turning the tables in the second half, the Bulls found themselves in an almost identical second half.

Virtually everywhere but shooting, the Bulls played solid
basketball.

In the second half, USF gave the ball up only once while forcing nine more turnovers from Seton Hall.

The Bulls racked up 11 steals on the night and stayed perfectfrom the free throw line.

And while the Pirates slowed down a bit on offense, the teamwasnt slow enough to be outmatched by USF.

The only bright spots for the Bulls were senior guard Jawanza Poland and forward Toarlyn Fitzpatrick, the only two of the night to score into double digits. Poland finished with 13, Fitzpatrick with 10.

Three-point land stayed as no-mans land for USF, and Seton Hall improved on the glass as they finished the game out-rebounding USF 35-22.

Aside from slowing down on the boards in the second half of play, USF showed that one of its biggest weaknesses was shooting from everywhere on the court but the free-throw line.

The Bulls will look to improve on offense and climb out of the
bottom of the Big East this week when on Saturday at noon, USF will tip off with Notre Dame at the Sun Dome.

By Adam