Season ends with blowout loss in WNIT
Three rounds into the Womens National Invitational Tournament, the womens basketball teams season ended Friday night in a 72-45 loss to James Madison University in Harrisburg, Va.
The Bulls (19-16, 8-8) traveled to Virginia with momentum after breezing by in-state opponents Florida Atlantic University and Florida International University last week at home by a combined 72 points, but were outmatched by the Dukes.
After scoring 76 and 77 points in their first two games of the tournament, the Bulls offense struggled as the shooters went cold, shooting 4-of-30 in the first half and just 21.7 percent for the game.
The Dukes ended their night with three players scoring into double figures: junior guard Tarik Hislop with 17, sophomore guard Kirby Burkholder with 15 and junior guard Jasmine Gill with 11.
Gills 11 points were matched by USFs leading scorer, junior guard Inga Orekhova, who scored four of her points from the free-throw line on a night when she shot 3-of-14 from the field.
Behind Orekhova was senior guard Jasmine Wynne, who was 4-of-8 from the line and ended the night with 10 points.
The score wouldnt show it, but defense still proved to be a positive force in the Bulls play. USF forced 33 turnovers in the game, which included 16 steals. Wynne led the team in steals, with four.
Though the 27-point loss to end the season was disappointing, the Bulls still have a lot to be proud of. The team still made the postseason after missing last year, despite Preseason All-Big East First Team selection Andrea Smith sitting out the season while recovering from ACL surgery and playing outside of their usual home court while the Sun Dome undergoes renovations.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!