Rough fifth inning sinks USF in South Bend
One inning was all it took. In the span of just three outs, the USF softball team went from an upstart conference title contender to a disappointed team with a sudden end to their conference season.
In the Bulls Big EastTournament debut againstDePaul on Thursday morning, a fateful fifth inning altered the course of the teams season in a 6-0 loss.
An otherwise strong performance was marred byone frustrating inning, in a game that was a microcosm of USFs conference season. After the Bulls (45-11,17-5) started 13-0 in conference play, a tough closingschedule forced the team to stumble to a 17-4 finish, which dropped them from first to fourth place in the conference.
In a game full of comparisons, Nevins recapped her regular season performance in the first round. The sophomore showed flashes of brilliance against the Blue Demons, carrying a no-hitterin the fourth. But, much like her season, she hit a rough patch in the home stretch.
Nevins dominated to start the regular season before a toughfinish, including a loss atLouisville on April 18, when she pitched just 3.1 innings and
allowed five runs in a 9-0 loss in the second game of a doubleheader. Nevins finished theregular season fifth in thecountry in ERA.
Though six runs crossedunder her watch, Nevins was only credited with one earned run in the first round loss to DePaul. After a lead-off double, Lynsey Ciezki singled in the first run of the game and an infielder error loaded the bases. The BlueDemons hit two consecutive singles to bring the score to 5-0. Nevins final pitch, a wild pitch, scored the final run of the game.
After the loss, the Bulls will have to have shortmemories. They will play the rival UCF Knights in theGainesville regional.
You know, its funny, coach Ken Eriksen said. In 2006, we got to the Big East Tournament and lost in the first round to Pittsburgh, and then we won in the Regionals, so well have to find the toughness in our hearts and our guts.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF study links advertising to body image
- USF grad student works to improve education in Nigeria
- USF to bring first students to Cuba in 50 years
- Former USF kicker Marvin Kloss hopes to make most of tryout with Bucs
- Willie Taggart vows USF’s offense is close to hitting its stride
- Table for two: first date dining
- Clinton looks to capture voters support
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move
- High Tech Pearls Are Captivating the Younger Jewelry...
- Making Halloween a Treat For Parents As Well As Kids
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- KORU LAUNCHES NEW, UNIQUE JOB FINDER FOR COLLEGE GRADS
- Amazon Student Celebrates Fall with Exclusive Deals and Scholarships
- Event: Panel Discussion for Student Media
- All-New National Student Day Contest Opens Today
- Calling All College Football Fans: Samsung Milk Music Now Live Streaming Home and Away Feeds of NCAA Football Games