Rough fifth inning sinks USF in South Bend
One inning was all it took. In the span of just three outs, the USF softball team went from an upstart conference title contender to a disappointed team with a sudden end to their conference season.
In the Bulls Big EastTournament debut againstDePaul on Thursday morning, a fateful fifth inning altered the course of the teams season in a 6-0 loss.
An otherwise strong performance was marred byone frustrating inning, in a game that was a microcosm of USFs conference season. After the Bulls (45-11,17-5) started 13-0 in conference play, a tough closingschedule forced the team to stumble to a 17-4 finish, which dropped them from first to fourth place in the conference.
In a game full of comparisons, Nevins recapped her regular season performance in the first round. The sophomore showed flashes of brilliance against the Blue Demons, carrying a no-hitterin the fourth. But, much like her season, she hit a rough patch in the home stretch.
Nevins dominated to start the regular season before a toughfinish, including a loss atLouisville on April 18, when she pitched just 3.1 innings and
allowed five runs in a 9-0 loss in the second game of a doubleheader. Nevins finished theregular season fifth in thecountry in ERA.
Though six runs crossedunder her watch, Nevins was only credited with one earned run in the first round loss to DePaul. After a lead-off double, Lynsey Ciezki singled in the first run of the game and an infielder error loaded the bases. The BlueDemons hit two consecutive singles to bring the score to 5-0. Nevins final pitch, a wild pitch, scored the final run of the game.
After the loss, the Bulls will have to have shortmemories. They will play the rival UCF Knights in theGainesville regional.
You know, its funny, coach Ken Eriksen said. In 2006, we got to the Big East Tournament and lost in the first round to Pittsburgh, and then we won in the Regionals, so well have to find the toughness in our hearts and our guts.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- AAC Player of the Year removed from USF softball
- Ethics committee opens investigation of SG president
- Student bands get chance for the big stage
- First all-ticket presidential debate brings calls for change
- The threat of empty promises
- Bulls enter critical final stretch
- Tampa design firm urges city to play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program