Reports: Memphis close to joining Big East in 2013
According to reports, the missing piece in the puzzle for a Big East championship football game has been found. According to CBSsports.com, Memphis is said to be close to a deal to join the Big East as an all-sports member as soon as 2013.
The additions of Central Florida, Houston, SMU, Navy, San Diego State and Boise State brought the conference to 11 football members, and if everything goes as planned, the Big East could have a 12-team football conference with a conference championship game by 2015.
While allowing for a conference championship game in football, the move is primarily designed to bring the Tigers' basketball prestige into the conference after previous additions of schools primarily known for football.
Though Memphis is not nationally recognized for its football program, its basketball program would add another strong team to a conference that is already one of the best basketball conferences in the nation. Their NCAA Tournament success is well known, with three Final Four appearances and two appearances in the National Championship game. USF's football team is 3-2 all-time against its former-Conference USA foe, while the men's basketball team is 3-18 all-time against the Tigers.
Free ride to Forum
For students who have shied away from the trip to the Tampa Bay Times Forum for basketball games because of the distance from campus, USF can help get you to tonight's game for free.
The University, in partnership with Student Government, has set up three charter buses to transport USF students from the Marshall Student Center (MSC) to the Forum for the Bulls' game tonight against Pittsburgh. The buses will provide round-trip transportation.
The first bus to leave the MSC will depart at 4:30 p.m., and the first 50 students to board the bus will be given a ride to Hooters on Channelside, for a pregame party, which will includes a free basket of wings.
The remaining two buses will depart from the MSC at 5:30 p.m., and will go directly to the Tampa Bay Times Forum.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses