Reports: Memphis close to joining Big East in 2013
According to reports, the missing piece in the puzzle for a Big East championship football game has been found. According to CBSsports.com, Memphis is said to be close to a deal to join the Big East as an all-sports member as soon as 2013.
The additions of Central Florida, Houston, SMU, Navy, San Diego State and Boise State brought the conference to 11 football members, and if everything goes as planned, the Big East could have a 12-team football conference with a conference championship game by 2015.
While allowing for a conference championship game in football, the move is primarily designed to bring the Tigers' basketball prestige into the conference after previous additions of schools primarily known for football.
Though Memphis is not nationally recognized for its football program, its basketball program would add another strong team to a conference that is already one of the best basketball conferences in the nation. Their NCAA Tournament success is well known, with three Final Four appearances and two appearances in the National Championship game. USF's football team is 3-2 all-time against its former-Conference USA foe, while the men's basketball team is 3-18 all-time against the Tigers.
Free ride to Forum
For students who have shied away from the trip to the Tampa Bay Times Forum for basketball games because of the distance from campus, USF can help get you to tonight's game for free.
The University, in partnership with Student Government, has set up three charter buses to transport USF students from the Marshall Student Center (MSC) to the Forum for the Bulls' game tonight against Pittsburgh. The buses will provide round-trip transportation.
The first bus to leave the MSC will depart at 4:30 p.m., and the first 50 students to board the bus will be given a ride to Hooters on Channelside, for a pregame party, which will includes a free basket of wings.
The remaining two buses will depart from the MSC at 5:30 p.m., and will go directly to the Tampa Bay Times Forum.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- A bond between brothers
- As exams near, student stress levels soar
- Message to draftees: Don’t mess this up
- Bulls held scoreless in midweek loss to Stetson
- As need for cybersecurity grows, USF class offers solutions
- Florida should pass laws to help women
- Tampa continues to tackle public transportation issue
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Four Tech Tools That Can Help Your Small Business Grow
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum