Reports: Memphis close to joining Big East in 2013
According to reports, the missing piece in the puzzle for a Big East championship football game has been found. According to CBSsports.com, Memphis is said to be close to a deal to join the Big East as an all-sports member as soon as 2013.
The additions of Central Florida, Houston, SMU, Navy, San Diego State and Boise State brought the conference to 11 football members, and if everything goes as planned, the Big East could have a 12-team football conference with a conference championship game by 2015.
While allowing for a conference championship game in football, the move is primarily designed to bring the Tigers' basketball prestige into the conference after previous additions of schools primarily known for football.
Though Memphis is not nationally recognized for its football program, its basketball program would add another strong team to a conference that is already one of the best basketball conferences in the nation. Their NCAA Tournament success is well known, with three Final Four appearances and two appearances in the National Championship game. USF's football team is 3-2 all-time against its former-Conference USA foe, while the men's basketball team is 3-18 all-time against the Tigers.
Free ride to Forum
For students who have shied away from the trip to the Tampa Bay Times Forum for basketball games because of the distance from campus, USF can help get you to tonight's game for free.
The University, in partnership with Student Government, has set up three charter buses to transport USF students from the Marshall Student Center (MSC) to the Forum for the Bulls' game tonight against Pittsburgh. The buses will provide round-trip transportation.
The first bus to leave the MSC will depart at 4:30 p.m., and the first 50 students to board the bus will be given a ride to Hooters on Channelside, for a pregame party, which will includes a free basket of wings.
The remaining two buses will depart from the MSC at 5:30 p.m., and will go directly to the Tampa Bay Times Forum.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities