Receiver revolution continues
National Signing Day broughtwith it a trio of new widereceivers, further enhancing a position that during coach Skip Holtz's tenure has turned from one of the weakest toone of the Bulls' strongest.
D'vario Montgomery, AlexMut and LaMarlin Wigginssigned with USF on Wednesday, adding depth to a unit already projected to be stocked withtalent for 2012 and beyond.
Montgomery arrives as afour-star recruit out ofWinter Park High School in, one of only two four-starprospects in this year's class.In high school, Montgomery played both offense and defenseand caught 96 catches for1,662 yards and 21 touchdowns during his final two seasons.
"(Montgomery) is sophysically gifted," widereceivers coach Phil McGeoghan said. "He's a big, tall, 6-foot-3,
210-pound specimen that goes up for the ball. He's physical.There's not many people that play the X receiver, split-end and then go play Sam linebacker. That's a pretty special skill set to have. We're excited about what he brings to the Universityand what he brings to theunit, specifically at the receiverposition."
Montgomery joins a group that includes Sterling Griffin,Andre Davis and Chris Dunkley,a highly-rated transfer fromFlorida who sat out last season.
"I'm excited to have talented guys in there that want to get better on a day-to-day basis," McGeoghan said. "It's aboutconsistency, that's what we're trying to build. Yeah, there'stalent in the room, but we want to build the level ofexpectation through consistency,fundamentals and discipline through the spring and intothe fall."
Holtz credited McGeoghan for his work in rebuilding thereceiving corps.
"To look at the young talentand athleticism that's in that group right now is reallyexciting," he said. "It's reallyexciting to know you have thatkind of speed and athleticismout on the perimeter. Itdefinitely excites a guy likeB.J. Daniels."
Mut originally signed with USF last year, but delayed hisenrollment after suffering atorn ACL.
Spring schedule set
With the recent addition ofdefensive coordinator Chris Cosh, the Bulls' spring schedule has been delayed slightly from the original date of March 3 toallow the staff to increase itsfamiliarity with USF.
"We will now start springpractice after spring break,which will be on Wednesday, March 21," Holtz said.
USF will play its traditional Spring Game at Raymond James Stadium on April 14, beforereturning to campus for anadditional scrimmage a weeklater, April 21, as it did last year.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Three students report armed robbery
- Bulls suffer first home defeat against No. 8 Washington
- Fairs leads Bulls to two-win weekend
- Artists keep what fans love
- Bulls edge UConn in conference opener
- Students warned not to sign up for GetStudyRoom.com
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections