Receiver revolution continues

By Michael Manganello SPORTS EDITOR
On February 2, 2012

National Signing Day broughtwith it a trio of new widereceivers, further enhancing a position that during coach Skip Holtz's tenure has turned from one of the weakest toone of the Bulls' strongest.

D'vario Montgomery, AlexMut and LaMarlin Wigginssigned with USF on Wednesday, adding depth to a unit already projected to be stocked withtalent for 2012 and beyond.

Montgomery arrives as afour-star recruit out ofWinter Park High School in, one of only two four-starprospects in this year's class.In high school, Montgomery played both offense and defenseand caught 96 catches for1,662 yards and 21 touchdowns during his final two seasons.

"(Montgomery) is sophysically gifted," widereceivers coach Phil McGeoghan said. "He's a big, tall, 6-foot-3,

210-pound specimen that goes up for the ball. He's physical.There's not many people that play the X receiver, split-end and then go play Sam linebacker. That's a pretty special skill set to have. We're excited about what he brings to the Universityand what he brings to theunit, specifically at the receiverposition."

Montgomery joins a group that includes Sterling Griffin,Andre Davis and Chris Dunkley,a highly-rated transfer fromFlorida who sat out last season.

"I'm excited to have talented guys in there that want to get better on a day-to-day basis," McGeoghan said. "It's aboutconsistency, that's what we're trying to build. Yeah, there'stalent in the room, but we want to build the level ofexpectation through consistency,fundamentals and discipline through the spring and intothe fall."

Holtz credited McGeoghan for his work in rebuilding thereceiving corps.

"To look at the young talentand athleticism that's in that group right now is reallyexciting," he said. "It's reallyexciting to know you have thatkind of speed and athleticismout on the perimeter. Itdefinitely excites a guy likeB.J. Daniels."

Mut originally signed with USF last year, but delayed hisenrollment after suffering atorn ACL.

Spring schedule set

With the recent addition ofdefensive coordinator Chris Cosh, the Bulls' spring schedule has been delayed slightly from the original date of March 3 toallow the staff to increase itsfamiliarity with USF.

"We will now start springpractice after spring break,which will be on Wednesday, March 21," Holtz said.

USF will play its traditional Spring Game at Raymond James Stadium on April 14, beforereturning to campus for anadditional scrimmage a weeklater, April 21, as it did last year.