Quartet of Bulls earn Big East crowns
Though the USF Track and Field team fell well short of a team indoor Big East Championship this weekend in New York City, several Bulls return to Tampa as individual champions.
USF got rolling Saturday at the New Balance Track and Field Center with a pair of event wins.
Senior Jared Thomas won the weight throw with a distance of 64 feet, 8.5 inches, earning the conference crown for the first time in his career.
"It feels really, really good," Thomas said. "It was definitely worth (all the preparation), being able to support the team."
Long jumper Monique Williams also earned a Big East title Saturday with a jump of 20 feet, 1.5 inches.
On day two of the competition, USF continued its success as another title was earned for both the men and women's teams.
A pair of sprinters, who are also on the football team, took the top two spots in the 60-meter dash, with Lindsey Lamar just edging out Kayvon Webster to win the event.
Lamar finished in 6.78 seconds, with Webster right behind at 6.83 seconds.
"It feels like a dream," Lamar said. "It feels even better to go one-and-two with my teammate. (Webster and I were) roommates in the hotel this weekend and we talked about how we both had to get on the podium."
It was the second straight time a USF football player won the 60-meter dash after Derrick Hopkins took home the title last year.
Marqueshia Stallworth also earned a Big East title in the triple jump, with a distance of 41 feet, 9.25 inches, just ahead of Williams, who finished second.
Notre Dame took home the men's team title, with USF finishing fifth. Georgetown won on the women's side, with the Bulls placing seventh.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities