Quartet of Bulls earn Big East crowns
Though the USF Track and Field team fell well short of a team indoor Big East Championship this weekend in New York City, several Bulls return to Tampa as individual champions.
USF got rolling Saturday at the New Balance Track and Field Center with a pair of event wins.
Senior Jared Thomas won the weight throw with a distance of 64 feet, 8.5 inches, earning the conference crown for the first time in his career.
"It feels really, really good," Thomas said. "It was definitely worth (all the preparation), being able to support the team."
Long jumper Monique Williams also earned a Big East title Saturday with a jump of 20 feet, 1.5 inches.
On day two of the competition, USF continued its success as another title was earned for both the men and women's teams.
A pair of sprinters, who are also on the football team, took the top two spots in the 60-meter dash, with Lindsey Lamar just edging out Kayvon Webster to win the event.
Lamar finished in 6.78 seconds, with Webster right behind at 6.83 seconds.
"It feels like a dream," Lamar said. "It feels even better to go one-and-two with my teammate. (Webster and I were) roommates in the hotel this weekend and we talked about how we both had to get on the podium."
It was the second straight time a USF football player won the 60-meter dash after Derrick Hopkins took home the title last year.
Marqueshia Stallworth also earned a Big East title in the triple jump, with a distance of 41 feet, 9.25 inches, just ahead of Williams, who finished second.
Notre Dame took home the men's team title, with USF finishing fifth. Georgetown won on the women's side, with the Bulls placing seventh.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- SG presidential candidates face off
- Investigation request submitted regarding SG president
- SG presidential candidates prepare for first debate
- Court finds divestment referendum constitutional
- Counseling Center seeks to accommodate increasing need while fighting for...
- Bulls trail wire-to-wire in 20th straight loss against ranked opponents
- Two Bulls to put dreams to the test at NFL Combine
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program