Quartet of Bulls earn Big East crowns
Though the USF Track and Field team fell well short of a team indoor Big East Championship this weekend in New York City, several Bulls return to Tampa as individual champions.
USF got rolling Saturday at the New Balance Track and Field Center with a pair of event wins.
Senior Jared Thomas won the weight throw with a distance of 64 feet, 8.5 inches, earning the conference crown for the first time in his career.
"It feels really, really good," Thomas said. "It was definitely worth (all the preparation), being able to support the team."
Long jumper Monique Williams also earned a Big East title Saturday with a jump of 20 feet, 1.5 inches.
On day two of the competition, USF continued its success as another title was earned for both the men and women's teams.
A pair of sprinters, who are also on the football team, took the top two spots in the 60-meter dash, with Lindsey Lamar just edging out Kayvon Webster to win the event.
Lamar finished in 6.78 seconds, with Webster right behind at 6.83 seconds.
"It feels like a dream," Lamar said. "It feels even better to go one-and-two with my teammate. (Webster and I were) roommates in the hotel this weekend and we talked about how we both had to get on the podium."
It was the second straight time a USF football player won the 60-meter dash after Derrick Hopkins took home the title last year.
Marqueshia Stallworth also earned a Big East title in the triple jump, with a distance of 41 feet, 9.25 inches, just ahead of Williams, who finished second.
Notre Dame took home the men's team title, with USF finishing fifth. Georgetown won on the women's side, with the Bulls placing seventh.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections