Oracle Insight: What to watch for in fall 2012
With the fall sports season just over a month away, the majority of the sports schedule is set. In a season that marks the opening of the newly renovated USF Sun Dome and a football visit from Florida State, there is plenty of action to look forward to. The Oracle takes a look at the five most important sports dates of the 2012 fall sports season.
Friday, Aug. 24
Though there is just one sport being played, the first Friday of the school year is valuable all the same. After a full week of classes, students can wind down by supporting the USF volleyball team at 7 p.m., which will play against Wisconsin in the opening game of the USF invitational.
The game marks the opening of the USF fall sports season and the debut of Courtney Draper, the new USF volleyball coach. Draper was named the replacement of Claire Lessinger, who stepped down due to an illness in her family.
Saturday, Sept. 1
The first day of the first full month of the athletics season holds a special place in the hearts of USF fans.
Led by Skip Holtz, who is fresh off a contract extension, the USF football team will get started on a season with high expectations, taking on the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga at 7 p.m. in their home opener.
Fans will get their first ingame taste of the football team, which comes into the season expecting big things after falling flat last season, winning only five games and missing out on a bowl berth. The volleyball team will also be in action, playing a double header in the N.C. State invitational.
Saturday, Sept. 29
The game that has been circled on the schedule since it was announced will be played on the second to last day of September.
The Bulls and FSU will duke it out at Raymond James Stadium during USFs annual Hall of Fame Weekend.
USF will look to win a second consecutive game over the Seminoles after a 17-7 win in Tallahassee on September 26, 2009, jumping to a 14-0 lead on the strength of the arms and legs of then-freshman quarterback BJ Daniels, who passed for 215 yards and two touchdowns, and led the team with 126 rushing yards in his first career start. Florida State was No. 18 in the country at the time.
Saturday, Oct. 27
In a season where the Bulls will play 10 of their 12 games on the traditional day of the week reserved for college football, Homecoming Saturday looks to be eventful as always.
For the second time in three seasons, the Bulls will take on the Syracuse Orange in their Homecoming game, this time in SuperBull XVI.
USF lost its last two homecoming games, against Cincinnati in 2011 and Syracuse in 2010. Both games were tight affairs, including a 37-34 loss to Cincinnati last season, when Daniels passed for a career high 409 yards, but the Bulls lost on a two-yard touchdown run from Bearcat quarterback Zach Collaros with 12 seconds to go.
Saturday, Nov. 10
Keeping up the theme of eventful fall Saturdays, USF fans will finally get their first look at the newly renovated USF Sun Dome and its brand new basketball courts when the USF mens basketball team opens up their home schedule against a familiar rival.
The Bulls will match up against the UCF Knights in the first game of a high-expectation season.
The Bulls are coming off their first NCAA tournament appearance in 20 years, and the first two NCAA tournament wins in school history. They possess a 19-6 edge in the all-time series against UCF including just one home loss, but the Knights have won two of the last three games in the series.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Three students report armed robbery
- Bulls suffer first home defeat against No. 8 Washington
- Fairs leads Bulls to two-win weekend
- Artists keep what fans love
- Bulls edge UConn in conference opener
- Students warned not to sign up for GetStudyRoom.com
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections