Oracle insight: Revisiting the 2011 recruiting class
With National Signing Day, the first day that recruits can sign their National Letters of Intentand acceptscholarships, on Wednesday,The Oracle looks back at some of the most influential members of the2011 USF recruiting class.
Andre Davis, WR
Davis, a local product fromJefferson High School in Tampa,had the biggest role of allnewcomers on the football field in 2011. A four-star recruit, accordingto rivals.com, Davis had anear-immediate impact forthe Bulls.
Against Florida A&M, Davis blocked a punt, which he returned for a touchdown, and caught a27-yard touchdown pass in the Bulls' 70-17 win.
On the season, Davis caught22 balls for 273 yards andtwo touchdowns.
Elkino Watson, DT
Watson was the biggest surprise of the Bulls' recruiting class, pickingthe Bulls over Miami, Fla., andLouisville on the morning ofNational Signing Day, and came to USF as a highly-rated prospect out of Miami's Booker T. Washington High School.
On his first play in a USFuniform, at Notre Dame in theseason opener, he recorded the first of 33 tackles in his freshmen season, including nine for a loss.
Watson excelled in a platoon of defensive tackles, helping thedefensive line become one ofUSF's strongest positions, atone point leading all freshmennationwide in tackles for loss.
Darrell Williams, OL
Williams, from Evans High School in Orlando, was expected to redshirt his freshman season like most of his class, but excelled on the practice field, with coach Skip Holtz opting to cancel hisredshirt two games into theseason, allowing him to play.
Williams played in all 10 ofUSF's remaining games, providingvaluable depth on theoffensive line.
Ruben Gonzalez, WR
Gonzalez arrived at USF from nearby Robinson High School in Tampa and played in every game, expect the season opener, asa true freshman.
At 6-foot-3, Gonzalez was a good size option off the bench for a strong receiving corps, catching five passes for 55 yards, despite limited action in each game.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF’s Mock Trial turns classroom into courtroom
- Campus dining caters to vegans
- Lecture shines light on human trafficking
- Three-star recruit flips from Utah to USF
- Weber continues high school success with Bulls
- Death penalty should at least be painless if still around
- Fallen Bulls remembered by loved ones at memorial service
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG