Oracle insight: Revisiting the 2011 recruiting class
With National Signing Day, the first day that recruits can sign their National Letters of Intentand acceptscholarships, on Wednesday,The Oracle looks back at some of the most influential members of the2011 USF recruiting class.
Andre Davis, WR
Davis, a local product fromJefferson High School in Tampa,had the biggest role of allnewcomers on the football field in 2011. A four-star recruit, accordingto rivals.com, Davis had anear-immediate impact forthe Bulls.
Against Florida A&M, Davis blocked a punt, which he returned for a touchdown, and caught a27-yard touchdown pass in the Bulls' 70-17 win.
On the season, Davis caught22 balls for 273 yards andtwo touchdowns.
Elkino Watson, DT
Watson was the biggest surprise of the Bulls' recruiting class, pickingthe Bulls over Miami, Fla., andLouisville on the morning ofNational Signing Day, and came to USF as a highly-rated prospect out of Miami's Booker T. Washington High School.
On his first play in a USFuniform, at Notre Dame in theseason opener, he recorded the first of 33 tackles in his freshmen season, including nine for a loss.
Watson excelled in a platoon of defensive tackles, helping thedefensive line become one ofUSF's strongest positions, atone point leading all freshmennationwide in tackles for loss.
Darrell Williams, OL
Williams, from Evans High School in Orlando, was expected to redshirt his freshman season like most of his class, but excelled on the practice field, with coach Skip Holtz opting to cancel hisredshirt two games into theseason, allowing him to play.
Williams played in all 10 ofUSF's remaining games, providingvaluable depth on theoffensive line.
Ruben Gonzalez, WR
Gonzalez arrived at USF from nearby Robinson High School in Tampa and played in every game, expect the season opener, asa true freshman.
At 6-foot-3, Gonzalez was a good size option off the bench for a strong receiving corps, catching five passes for 55 yards, despite limited action in each game.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
- Z Baked provides warm cookies on demand
- Addicted to Apple: a dire diagnosis for millennials
- USF partners with World Health Organization
- Speaker sees astronomy through historical lens
- Bulls aim to bounce back on homestand
- USF Oliver Gallery gets ‘Down and Dirty’
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership