Oracle insight: Revisiting the 2011 recruiting class
With National Signing Day, the first day that recruits can sign their National Letters of Intentand acceptscholarships, on Wednesday,The Oracle looks back at some of the most influential members of the2011 USF recruiting class.
Andre Davis, WR
Davis, a local product fromJefferson High School in Tampa,had the biggest role of allnewcomers on the football field in 2011. A four-star recruit, accordingto rivals.com, Davis had anear-immediate impact forthe Bulls.
Against Florida A&M, Davis blocked a punt, which he returned for a touchdown, and caught a27-yard touchdown pass in the Bulls' 70-17 win.
On the season, Davis caught22 balls for 273 yards andtwo touchdowns.
Elkino Watson, DT
Watson was the biggest surprise of the Bulls' recruiting class, pickingthe Bulls over Miami, Fla., andLouisville on the morning ofNational Signing Day, and came to USF as a highly-rated prospect out of Miami's Booker T. Washington High School.
On his first play in a USFuniform, at Notre Dame in theseason opener, he recorded the first of 33 tackles in his freshmen season, including nine for a loss.
Watson excelled in a platoon of defensive tackles, helping thedefensive line become one ofUSF's strongest positions, atone point leading all freshmennationwide in tackles for loss.
Darrell Williams, OL
Williams, from Evans High School in Orlando, was expected to redshirt his freshman season like most of his class, but excelled on the practice field, with coach Skip Holtz opting to cancel hisredshirt two games into theseason, allowing him to play.
Williams played in all 10 ofUSF's remaining games, providingvaluable depth on theoffensive line.
Ruben Gonzalez, WR
Gonzalez arrived at USF from nearby Robinson High School in Tampa and played in every game, expect the season opener, asa true freshman.
At 6-foot-3, Gonzalez was a good size option off the bench for a strong receiving corps, catching five passes for 55 yards, despite limited action in each game.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone