Oracle insight: Revisiting the 2011 recruiting class
With National Signing Day, the first day that recruits can sign their National Letters of Intentand acceptscholarships, on Wednesday,The Oracle looks back at some of the most influential members of the2011 USF recruiting class.
Andre Davis, WR
Davis, a local product fromJefferson High School in Tampa,had the biggest role of allnewcomers on the football field in 2011. A four-star recruit, accordingto rivals.com, Davis had anear-immediate impact forthe Bulls.
Against Florida A&M, Davis blocked a punt, which he returned for a touchdown, and caught a27-yard touchdown pass in the Bulls' 70-17 win.
On the season, Davis caught22 balls for 273 yards andtwo touchdowns.
Elkino Watson, DT
Watson was the biggest surprise of the Bulls' recruiting class, pickingthe Bulls over Miami, Fla., andLouisville on the morning ofNational Signing Day, and came to USF as a highly-rated prospect out of Miami's Booker T. Washington High School.
On his first play in a USFuniform, at Notre Dame in theseason opener, he recorded the first of 33 tackles in his freshmen season, including nine for a loss.
Watson excelled in a platoon of defensive tackles, helping thedefensive line become one ofUSF's strongest positions, atone point leading all freshmennationwide in tackles for loss.
Darrell Williams, OL
Williams, from Evans High School in Orlando, was expected to redshirt his freshman season like most of his class, but excelled on the practice field, with coach Skip Holtz opting to cancel hisredshirt two games into theseason, allowing him to play.
Williams played in all 10 ofUSF's remaining games, providingvaluable depth on theoffensive line.
Ruben Gonzalez, WR
Gonzalez arrived at USF from nearby Robinson High School in Tampa and played in every game, expect the season opener, asa true freshman.
At 6-foot-3, Gonzalez was a good size option off the bench for a strong receiving corps, catching five passes for 55 yards, despite limited action in each game.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Tampa continues to tackle public transportation issue
- Oracle sports staff tackles NFL mock drafts
- Men's golf conference champs for third straight year
- SG plans scream event to help relieve stress before finals
- USF baseball's biggest enemy: its own schedule
- Dismissed Duke players land at USF
- Philosopher discusses safe education and a polarized country
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Streaming Content Box Cuts Your Cable and Costs
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- American U. professor predicts Trump will be impeached in new book
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum