Oracle insight: Keys to the first spring scrimmage
Tomorrow, the USF football team will line up for its first scrimmage of the season, providing the first glimpse of the 2012 Bulls. While the scrimmage is closed to fans, it will be open to the media. The Oracle notes the top three things well learn from the first of three spring scrimmages.
1) How the defense is progressing
The game will provide an in-depth look at how first-year defensive coordinator Chris Cosh is guiding his unit against an offense in a semi-competitive atmosphere.
By all accounts, the transition from former coordinator Mark Snyder to Cosh has been smooth, with the Bulls running their same system from years past rather than learning Coshs own style. Still, its worth keeping an eye on how effective the Bulls will be against their own offense.
2) The backup running back spot
The starting running back position is expected to go to senior Demetris Murray, by far the most experienced of the Bulls backs. Behind Murray, there is a group of available backs with no clear-cut favorite to earn the backup roles.
Marcus Shaw has been getting most of the reps with the second offense, but faces challenges from Willie Davis, Michael Pierre and former wide receiver Lindsey Lamar. USF split time nearly evenly between its top two backs last season, so the winner of this battle will be a significant contributor.
3) Starting cornerback position
The secondary is a position of relative comfort for the Bulls, but there is stiff competition for the second starting cornerback position. Senior Kayvon Webster is all but assured to earn the top cornerback spot, but the battle to line up opposite him is wide open.
Junior college newcomers Joshua Brown and Fidel Montgomery are competing against redshirt freshman Kenneth Durden for the spot atop the depth chart. Strangely, none of them may win, as freshman Chris Bivins Jr. is sidelined this spring with an ACL injury but will join the competition in the fall.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Voter registration deadline approaches
- Candidates announced for 2016 Student Body President election
- USF routed by SMU as injuries continue to pile
- Students to explore film through MovieFest
- Obama finally puts his foot down against anti-Muslim rhetoric
- Trump to hold rally at Sun Dome
- Fun sailing with Gasparilla continues until April
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 2016 Resolutions: Time for an Update?
- GlobalGiving and Athletic Tips Partner to Help Keep Young...
- Share Your Love This Valentine's Day
- From Bratty to Bearable, Global Nanny Jo Frost Tackles...
- Fibromyalgia: The Disease Whose Exact Cause Remains Unknown
- Beware Scourge Pricing When Using Apps Like Uber
- How Safe Is Your Child's Bedroom?
- Is Your Smile Unforgettable?
- Gallup Report Shows More Americans Favor Chiropractic Care
- Reading Program Is 'Changing Lives One Student at a Time'