On-campus stadium is next step for football program
Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Florida. The list of commonalities between these teams is long, but the most important one they share is their status as the teams responsible for the six BCS National Football Championships since the title game was introduced in 2007.
Along with being top recruiters in powerhouse conferences, the national title contenders in the BCS era are best known for one thing: Raucous fan bases that show up in full support every Saturday at the schools on-campus stadiums.
USFs fan base is widely known as a small, but passionate group that matches the loyalty of fans from schools across the nation. Combined with a strong local community with growing support for their hometown school, the time has arrived for the construction of an on-campus stadium.
Any concerns of losing attendance from their local supporters non-student fans that tend to make up a majority of the home crowd can be extinguished with one statistic.
In two NCAA matches hosted by the USF mens soccer team against UCF and New Mexico, the combined attendance was 6,621, including a program record of 3,592 in their Sweet Sixteen match against New Mexico. Fans from around Tampa made up a large part of the crowd thanks to the free admission provided by the Tampa Bay Sports Commission.
As for the potential drop off in amenities in going from the sparkling conditions of the $168.5 million Raymond James Stadium to an on-campus stadium that will likely be less luxurious, it seems as if the teams leader himself is not concerned.
Just put 50,000 seats around that field right there and well be good, head coach Skip Holtz said after the second annual Green and Gold Bowl, when the USF football team played a scrimmage at the on-campus Corbett Soccer Stadium.
Of the 14 teams that have won a national title in the BCS era, which began in 1998, only two teams played their home games in an off-campus stadium. The 2001 Miami Hurricanes, one of the most widely respected national champions in history, played their home games at the Miami Orange Bowl, while the 2004 USC Trojans played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, which was virtually adjacent to the schools campus.
Despite a tough 2011 season,in which a 1-7 record down the stretch kept them out of a bowl game, the USF football program is on the rise. Since the team made their bowl game debut in 2005, they made five consecutive bowl games before their disappointment last season. In a memorable 2007 season, the Bulls started 6-0, made their first appearance in the national rankings and rose to second overall in the BCS rankings, before a three-game conference losing streak spoiled their season. The team is ready to take the next step.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USFSP solar-powered garage turned on, largest in Florida
- Registrar to be removed amid lawsuit
- Tarek’s Cafe feeds USF’s eclectic tastes
- EDITORIAL: Scott needs to rethink stance on body cameras
- New chicken at Chick-fil-A
- Researchers study why mosquitoes excel at sucking
- Photo Gallery: Public art displays brighten up campus
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Key Ingredients for a Healthy Heart
- Spring Cleaning Made Easy to Help Tackle Inanimate Allergens
- For Love of the Game -- Smokeless Tobacco Still a Part of...
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards