New coaches hired for mens tennis, volleyball

By Rames Ali SPORTS EDITOR
On June 28, 2012

Tuesday, The USF mens tennis team announced a replacement for the longest tenured coach in school history.

Beginning with the Fall 2012 season, Matt Hill, former assistant coach at Mississippi State University, will be the new leader of the mens tennis team.

This is a great day for the USF mens tennis program,Athletics Director Doug Woolard said in a press release.We had the opportunity to meet with several of the top head and assistant coaches around the country, and Matt Hill continued to stand out.

Hills time at Mississippi State was marked by strong improvement, as the team went from being ranked No. 72 in 2009 to No. 11 in 2012, the schools best finish since 1998.

Draper steps in for Lessinger
After the abrupt departure of volleyball head coach Claire Lessinger, due in large part to her mothers cancer diagnosis, a replacement has been named.

Courtney Draper will be stepping in as the new head coach for the USF volleyball team.

I am very confident that she will provide terrific leadership and build on the great foundation in our womens volleyball program, USF athletic director Doug Woolard said in a press release.

Draper made an impact at Eckerd by leading the team to the NCAA Division II tournament during five of her eight years there. Prior to her time at Eckerd, Draper made history at Jacksonville University when she was the youngest head coach in Division I volleyball history at 25 years old.

Im overjoyed at the opportunity to lead the Bulls volleyball program, Draper said in a press release. Ive always had such respect for the program and people at USF, and its been a dream of mine to work at one of the best universities in the state.