Mens soccer ready to take show on the road
After showing its moxie with a gritty, nationally televised win over the Michigan Wolverines, the USF mens soccer team looks to tackle a different challenge: the first road trip of the season.
The Bulls, who moved up to 4th in the NSCAA rankings on the strength of their win, may not have a record-setting crowd on its side this week at the Hurricane Classic in Tulsa, but coach George Kiefer doesnt seem to be worried.
Were looking forward to our match against SMU, one of the top teams in the country year in, year out, Kiefer said. They play a good brand of soccer where I know its going to be a soccer match. We tend to like being in those games where people try to beat us rather than just sit back and try to steal it from us.
The televised game against Michigan didnt just give USF a boost to start the season, but it also gave senior midfielder Leston Paul a chance to showcase his skills as a team player. Paul, who lifted the Bulls with two assists that led to a pair of goals late in the second half, recently made the Big Easts weekly honor roll for his performance.
The Bulls will take on No. 16 SMU on Friday at 4 p.m., and though the Mustangs didnt exactly impress with a 1-1 draw against Campbell University in their season opener, one thing is to be certain: the team will be looking to knock the Bulls off the pedestal.
SMU is an ideal opponent they attack, they get forward, theyre going to come after us, were going to come after them, Kiefer said. Its going to be a great college soccer game.
On Sunday, the Bulls will take on Tulsa, who will enter the tournament coming off a dominating 4-0 shutout over UMKC this past weekend.
While USF impressed with two second-half goals against Michigan, the Golden Hurricane could have topped the Bulls late game performance. All four of Tulsas goals in its season opener were scored in the second half, two of which came in the final 20 minutes of play. The match against Tulsa will kick off at 8 pm.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF entrepreneurship among best in nation
- National focus on USF police camera study
- Baldin uses upbringing to bond Bulls
- Student entrepreneur creates fresh watermelon business
- EDITORIAL: Students deserve better access to food assistance
- SG revamps legal services
- Bulls Biker Club invites fellow free spirits
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership