Lessons learned from strong finish
Two games into the2012 season, the USF football teams defense has seen both sides of the spectrum an experiencethat could prove tobe priceless as theseason continues.
A year after the Bulls lost five games by six points or fewer, the team looked to gain experience in close games, proving their ability to come through in the fourth quarter. Senior quarterback B.J. Daniels said the late win over Nevada gave the Bulls a chance to win the kind of game they could not win in 2011.
In the same way, the teamsdefense has proven its ability to close out a game, even if its start is not ideal.
After dominating an overmatched Tennessee-Chattanooga offense to open the season, the Bulls were the ones who were dominated last week.
Led by sophomore quarterback Cody Fajardo, Nevada marched down the field on the first three drives, scoring 21 points in the first quarter before the Bulls hunkered down, holding Nevada to 10 points in the final three quarters.
There were some ups and downs. They were really going at us for a little bit in the first three drives of the game, senior linebacker Sam Barrington said. But I think after that we kind of settled in, we changed momentum at some points, and we were fortunate that our offense was able to produce so much.
Coach Skip Holtz proved his trust in the defense despite its slow start in Reno, giving his defenseopportunities when keepinghis offense on the field wasan option.
With just over seven minutesremaining in the game, and the team down 11 points, Holtz called for a punt on four and 10 with his offense 47 yards from a momentum swinging touchdown. Thedefense responded by forcing Nevada to punt after five and three plays in the next two drives.
I like the way we finished. We didnt start real good, but I like the way we responded, defensive coordinator Chris Cosh said. One of the things we wanted to show was our ability to come back and win a close game, and getting stops at the end were crucial, getting a couple of turnovers. We didnt get any turnovers in the first game, so it was good to get some this time.
With high-powered offenses led by mobile quarterbacks like Louisvilles Teddy Bridgewater and Cincinnatis Munchie LeGaux on the horizon, the Bulls will face situations much like their experience at MacKay Stadium. Barrington said the statistics the Wolf Pack managed to rack up will be a learning point for the Bulls.
I definitely pay attention to statistics because Coach Holtz has a plan for us and we dont want a team to be able to rush for that many yards on us or be so efficient on third down on us, he said. There were some things that I personally need to work on, there are things that I want to correct so I can be better.
With the experience of a tough start and strong finish undertheir belt early in the season,the USF defense has prepareditself for the remainder of the2012 season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- ‘Jurassic World’ brings dino excitement back to life
- Haitian students to lead discussion on Caribbean migration crisis
- Schools share strategies for student success
- SCOTUS ruling not a personal attack against conservatives
- Woulard announces transfer to USF
- Antigua fills void with Penn State transfer
- Taggart adds offensive line depth
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Pointers for Packing the Perfect Summer Picnic
- Natural Snacks Make Nutritious Meals
- How American-Made Products Benefit Many
- Los Hispanos Celebran El Verano Con Diversión,...
- Minimizing the Mess: How to Keep a Clean Home With Kids
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'