Lee Roy Selmon to be honored with Athletics Building renaming today

By By Michael Manganello SPORTS EDITOR
On February 21, 2012

USF will remember the late Lee Roy Selmon as it renames the Athletics Building the Lee Roy Selmon Athletics Center today at 4:30 p.m. in a ceremony that is open to the public.

After an NFL Hall of Fame career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Selmon remained in the area and became USF director of athletics in 2001, a position he held for three years.

In his time as athletics director, Selmon ushered the Bulls into the Big East and played a key role in establishing a football program. He also initiated and oversaw the construction of the building that will henceforth bear his name.

Selmon, 56, passed away Sept. 4, 2011, two days after suffering a massive stroke.

At his funeral, USF President Judy Genshaft announced the unanimous decision by the Board of Trustees to rename the facility to a standing ovation from the attendees, which included Athletics Director Doug Woolard and the entire USF football team.

Athletes on all USF teams have worn decals bearing Selmon's uniform No. 63 this season in remembrance of him.

Pathon to coach WRs

Former NFL wide receiver Jerome Pathon joined the USF coaching staff as wide receivers coach Tuesday after three years

in the same position at the University of San Diego.

After a standout career at the University of Washington, Pathon, 36, was a second-round pick in the 1998 NFL Draft and spent eight seasons playing for Indianapolis, New Orleans and Atlanta.

Pathon replaces Phil McGeoghan, who left last month to become assistant receivers coach for the Miami Dolphins.

The hiring comes just a day after coach Skip Holtz announced a shuffling of his offensive staff. Offensive coordinator Todd Fitch will take on additional duties as quarterbacks coach, replacing Peter Vaas, who will now coach the tight ends. Larry Scott moves from tight ends coach to running backs coach.

Baseball home opener

After opening the season in the Big Ten/Big East Challenge in Pinellas County over the weekend, the USF baseball team returns to campus for its home opener tonight at 7.

The Bulls (3-0) host North Florida (1-2) to open a lengthy homestand.

Including tonight, 26 of the Bulls' next 27 games are at home, with only a road game against UCF and an exhibition game against the New York Yankees at Steinbrenner Field in Tampa on the schedule.