Kafalas named to BigEast weekly Honor Roll
It didn't take long for the USF softball team to start picking up individual honors this season.
After just one weekend of play, senior right-fielder Gina Kafalas was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll on Monday after a weekend in which she hit .400 with six hits, three RBIs and four runs scored.
She also stole two bases as the Bulls beat Maine, Florida Gulf Coast and Long Island State before falling 3-2 to No. 2 Florida in extra innings Sunday.
Kafalas led the team a season ago in all four of those categories, with a .359 batting average, 61 hits, 48 runs scored and 24 stolen bases.
The Bulls are back on the diamond this weekend as they host the USF Invitational. USF will play Drake on Friday, Wisconsin and Arkansas on Saturday and Georgia Southern on Sunday.
Robertson also honored
Men's basketball guard Hugh Robertson was also named to the Honor Roll after a strong offensive showing in a pair of USF wins last week.
Against Pittsburgh on Wednesday, Robertson scored a season-high 18 points without missing a single shot all night, going 7-of-7 from the field and 4-of-4 from the free-throw line in 35 minutes of the Bulls' 63-51 win over the Panthers.
He followed that up with six points, four rebounds and three assists in USF's 55-48 win at Providence on Saturday.
Known as the Bulls' defensive specialist, Robertson often finds himself guarding the opposition's best player. Against Pittsburgh, he held Big East Preseason Player of the Year Ashton Gibbs to a season-worst four points.
Lately though, Robertson has been asserting himself on the offensive end, having scored nine or more points in three of USF's last six games.
USF hosts Villanova in a midweek game Wednesday at 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Cosplayers to suit up for Tampa Bay Comic Con
- Search continues for graves at Dozier
- USF Athletics: What you might have missed this summer
- Pujol represents Bulls in FIBA World Cup
- The health consequences of a night with Netflix
- Colleges should worry about losing funding over Title IX violations
- Renovations revitalize USF Bookstore
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?