Kafalas named to BigEast weekly Honor Roll

By Michael Manganello SPORTS EDITOR
On February 13, 2012

It didn't take long for the USF softball team to start picking up individual honors this season.

After just one weekend of play, senior right-fielder Gina Kafalas was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll on Monday after a weekend in which she hit .400 with six hits, three RBIs and four runs scored.

She also stole two bases as the Bulls beat Maine, Florida Gulf Coast and Long Island State before falling 3-2 to No. 2 Florida in extra innings Sunday.

Kafalas led the team a season ago in all four of those categories, with a .359 batting average, 61 hits, 48 runs scored and 24 stolen bases.

The Bulls are back on the diamond this weekend as they host the USF Invitational. USF will play Drake on Friday, Wisconsin and Arkansas on Saturday and Georgia Southern on Sunday.

Robertson also honored

Men's basketball guard Hugh Robertson was also named to the Honor Roll after a strong offensive showing in a pair of USF wins last week.

Against Pittsburgh on Wednesday, Robertson scored a season-high 18 points without missing a single shot all night, going 7-of-7 from the field and 4-of-4 from the free-throw line in 35 minutes of the Bulls' 63-51 win over the Panthers.

He followed that up with six points, four rebounds and three assists in USF's 55-48 win at Providence on Saturday.

Known as the Bulls' defensive specialist, Robertson often finds himself guarding the opposition's best player. Against Pittsburgh, he held Big East Preseason Player of the Year Ashton Gibbs to a season-worst four points.

Lately though, Robertson has been asserting himself on the offensive end, having scored nine or more points in three of USF's last six games.

USF hosts Villanova in a midweek game Wednesday at 7 p.m.