Holtz not looking to leave
When Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino was fired Tuesday night for lying about a motorcycle crash involving another employee, the Razorbacks coaching search began immediately, with USF coach Skip Holtzs name mentioned among the potential candidates.
Holtz is considered a candidate because of his ties to the area, having lived in Fayetteville, Ark. the city the University of Arkansas is located in from seventh grade through high school while his father served as head football coach.
Yet Holtz made a scheduled visit with the media Wednesday morning to say that he is happy as USFs coach and has not been contacted by Arkansas in relation to its coaching vacancy.
I have not talked to anybody from Arkansas, he said. Its flattering to hear your name floating around, but we have a job to do here. I cant control what other people think and what other people say and Im not going to sit here and fret over every time a job opens. I am not looking to leave here.
Holtz was rumored to be a candidate for the North Carolina job in the winter after previous coach Butch Davis was fired. Holtz opted to remain in Tampa then and said he plans on doing the same again.
Im not calling anybody, he said. Im not trying to put my name out there. I want to be the head football coach here. I enjoy it here. I like it here. Fayetteville is a great place. I spent a lot of great years there and I have a lot of great memories and still have a lot of friends back in Fayetteville, but that doesnt have anything to do with who theyre going to hire.
While Holtz insists hes not interested, his wife questioned whether hes even qualified to take over a team that ended last season ranked No. 5 in the country.
Last night, we did a dinner down in Sarasota and I walked in the door at about 10:30 p.m. and my wife, as a way of keeping me humble, said, Why would anybody want to hire you? You were 5-7, he said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Kheireddine and Kent officially sworn into office
- Accusations swirl as decision on student body president nears
- USF partners with company of Lightning owner Jeff Vinik
- Running back Darius Tice gets second chance
- Three predictions for USF football
- Bay Area joins international March for Science
- EDITORIAL: When can we expect a president?
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Non-Profit Venture Fund Seeks to Support The American Dream
- Sustained Happiness Starts from Within
- Reverse Mortgages Benefit Younger Seniors
- Sunshine State Shining New Light on the Banking Industry
- Honoring Moms : How 3 Inspiring Women are Changing the World
- Look Before You Buy: Virtual Reality Comes to Home...
- Olympic Power Couple Teams Up to Fight Blood Cancers with...
- Two Meals in One: Arborio Rice, Perfect for Risotto &...
- New Nighttime Grind Guard Relieves Jaw Pain
- Why Yoga Relieves Stress, Improves Health and Balances...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Comic Book and Sports Card Show
- A Harvard Dean's 5 Essential Questions for Success
- COLLEGE STUDENTS: DO THESE THREE THINGS THIS SUMMER TO BOOST YOUR FINANCES
- Annual PepsiCo/SWE Student Engineering Challenge Gives Undergraduates Real-World Engineering Practicum
- Dallas Regional Chamber Targets National Millennial Workforce with New Talent Attraction Campaign, Say Yes to Dallas