Holtz not looking to leave
When Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino was fired Tuesday night for lying about a motorcycle crash involving another employee, the Razorbacks coaching search began immediately, with USF coach Skip Holtzs name mentioned among the potential candidates.
Holtz is considered a candidate because of his ties to the area, having lived in Fayetteville, Ark. the city the University of Arkansas is located in from seventh grade through high school while his father served as head football coach.
Yet Holtz made a scheduled visit with the media Wednesday morning to say that he is happy as USFs coach and has not been contacted by Arkansas in relation to its coaching vacancy.
I have not talked to anybody from Arkansas, he said. Its flattering to hear your name floating around, but we have a job to do here. I cant control what other people think and what other people say and Im not going to sit here and fret over every time a job opens. I am not looking to leave here.
Holtz was rumored to be a candidate for the North Carolina job in the winter after previous coach Butch Davis was fired. Holtz opted to remain in Tampa then and said he plans on doing the same again.
Im not calling anybody, he said. Im not trying to put my name out there. I want to be the head football coach here. I enjoy it here. I like it here. Fayetteville is a great place. I spent a lot of great years there and I have a lot of great memories and still have a lot of friends back in Fayetteville, but that doesnt have anything to do with who theyre going to hire.
While Holtz insists hes not interested, his wife questioned whether hes even qualified to take over a team that ended last season ranked No. 5 in the country.
Last night, we did a dinner down in Sarasota and I walked in the door at about 10:30 p.m. and my wife, as a way of keeping me humble, said, Why would anybody want to hire you? You were 5-7, he said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Weist named interim coach as USF begins search for replacement
- For USF football, losing Willie Taggart hits hard
- Bucs' Winston, USF players react to Taggart's departure
- Taggart leaving USF for Oregon coaching job
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Chiropractic Care Now Covered By Most Insurance Plans
- Foodies Flock to Greater Fort Lauderdale's Dining...
- Yes, Olivia, There Is a Santa, and He's Calling You
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind