Greiner carries Bulls to win
It may not have picked up many hits, but the USF softball team did the most with what it had in its Wednesday evening win over Bethune-Cookman at the USF Softball Stadium.
Led by a strong outing from freshman pitcher Sam Greiner, USF rode its three hits to a 3-1 win.
The Bulls fell out of first place in the Big East last week after losing two games at Louisville, but after a weekend off to regroup, they got back to their winning ways.
We come off of Louisville (losses last week), and we fell down the mountain a little bit, coach Ken Eriksen said. So, todays object was to get back on the ledge.
Greiner picked up her 10th win of the season, going four innings while allowing three hits and one run, a sacrifice fly that tied the game momentarily in the top of the fourth. Lindsey Richardson pitched three shutout innings in relief and earned a save.
I think Sam and I work well together, Richardson said. Were two different kinds of pitchers, so that usually ends up working out for us.
Until the bottom of the sixth, the Bulls had only two hits, an RBI single each from Alexis Nowell and Jessica Mouse. Mouse delivered in the bottom of the fourth, taking back the lead for the Bulls. Laura Fountain followed her with a sacrifice fly to seal the final 3-1 margin.
Courtney Goff had a fantastic sacrifice bunt ... then Mouse executed the sacrifice squeeze, Eriksen said. Then Fountain had an absolute bullet, Superman came out of nowhere to grab it, otherwise two more runs score and theres a runner on second.
With the win, the Bulls are at 41 wins for the season with six games left to play. USF is ranked No. 18 in the nation, and has already won eight more games than they did all of last season. The Bulls are second in the Big East and are in prime position for a postseason run.
It went by really fast, its crazy, Richardson said of her junior season. This team gets along so well, and were just really excited for the rest of the season and anything after it.
USF will finish up its home schedule this weekend with a Pack The Park initiative for a three-game series against Villanova. A doubleheader, beginning at 2 p.m. Saturday, will be followed by a 1 p.m. finale Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Mack carries Bulls in season opener
- USF researchers take on true ALS challenge
- Artists to bridge gap for Muslim, Arab cultures
- USF women’s soccer captures first season win against FGCU
- End-of-summer movies fall into theaters
- #100happydays might be difficult to achieve
- Higher education continues to lack diversity
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care