Greiner carries Bulls to win
It may not have picked up many hits, but the USF softball team did the most with what it had in its Wednesday evening win over Bethune-Cookman at the USF Softball Stadium.
Led by a strong outing from freshman pitcher Sam Greiner, USF rode its three hits to a 3-1 win.
The Bulls fell out of first place in the Big East last week after losing two games at Louisville, but after a weekend off to regroup, they got back to their winning ways.
We come off of Louisville (losses last week), and we fell down the mountain a little bit, coach Ken Eriksen said. So, todays object was to get back on the ledge.
Greiner picked up her 10th win of the season, going four innings while allowing three hits and one run, a sacrifice fly that tied the game momentarily in the top of the fourth. Lindsey Richardson pitched three shutout innings in relief and earned a save.
I think Sam and I work well together, Richardson said. Were two different kinds of pitchers, so that usually ends up working out for us.
Until the bottom of the sixth, the Bulls had only two hits, an RBI single each from Alexis Nowell and Jessica Mouse. Mouse delivered in the bottom of the fourth, taking back the lead for the Bulls. Laura Fountain followed her with a sacrifice fly to seal the final 3-1 margin.
Courtney Goff had a fantastic sacrifice bunt ... then Mouse executed the sacrifice squeeze, Eriksen said. Then Fountain had an absolute bullet, Superman came out of nowhere to grab it, otherwise two more runs score and theres a runner on second.
With the win, the Bulls are at 41 wins for the season with six games left to play. USF is ranked No. 18 in the nation, and has already won eight more games than they did all of last season. The Bulls are second in the Big East and are in prime position for a postseason run.
It went by really fast, its crazy, Richardson said of her junior season. This team gets along so well, and were just really excited for the rest of the season and anything after it.
USF will finish up its home schedule this weekend with a Pack The Park initiative for a three-game series against Villanova. A doubleheader, beginning at 2 p.m. Saturday, will be followed by a 1 p.m. finale Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus