Few surprises on first depth chart
The first spring depth chart for the USF football team was released Tuesday, four days before the Bulls line up for their second spring scrimmage, Saturdays Green and Gold Bowl at Corbett Stadium.
The Oracle breaks down the first chart of the spring:
This position is basically sealed by B.J. Daniels, now a fifth-year senior. Neither of the backups, Bobby Eveld and Matt Floyd, are expected to provide a strong challenge to Daniels, though they are challenging each other. Eveld and Floyd were listed as co-backups on the depth chart, with neither beating the other out for the second string. Eveld regressed last season while Floyd was redshirting.
Demetris Murray earned the top spot as the Bulls most experienced back, but it was one of their most inexperienced who placed second on the depth chart, with converted back Lindsey Lamar earning a tie with Marcus Shaw for the second string back spot. Bradley Battles and Willie Davis appear to be far behind at this point.
This position is somewhat surprising, as Andre Davis, Ruben Gonzalez and Victor Marc earned the top spots in a three-receiver set for USF. Sterling Griffin is listed behind Davis, with Deonte Welch listed behind Gonzalez and Terrence Mitchell behind Marc. Florida transfer Chris Dunkley, who sat out last season due to NCAA rules, is listed on the third-team offense, along with Derrick Hopkins.
This is a very deep position for the Bulls, with Evan Landi and Jeff Hawkins earning the top spots in a two-tight end set. Isaac Virgin and Mike McFarland are listed as backups, with Andreas Shields and Jake Carlton below them. Dont forget Sean Price, a four-star recruit who will join the team in the fall.
The offensive line listed on the depth chart is unlikely to be USFs opening day lineup, with Mark Popek, Damien Edwards, Austin Reiter, Lawrence Martin and Quinterrius Eatmon listed as the starters from left tackle to right. Danous Estenor, who has been sidelined with an ankle injury this spring, is expected to be the starting right guard, allowing Martin to move to his natural left guard position.
Ends Ryne Giddins and Julius Forte, along with tackles Cory Grissom and Luke Sager, are listed as the starters on USFs defensive line. The only real surprise is that Elkino Watson, who excelled at tackle as a true freshman last season, is considered a backup at this time. Tevin Mims, Todd Chandler and Anthony Hill are on the second line along with Watson.
Not much has changed at this level of the defense, with the same trio of starters from last season Sam Barrington, Michael Lanaris and DeDe Lattimore projected as starters again. Lattimore is listed as backup middle linebacker ahead of Barrington, meaning the staff likely has more faith in Mike Jeunes ability to play weakside than Reshard Clietts ability to play strongside.
This is a position of significant change for USF, which has to replace starters Quenton Washington and Jerrell Young. Listed as first-teamers along with expected cornerback starter Kayvon Webster are free safety Mark Joyce, strong safety JaQuez Jenkins and junior college transfer cornerback Fidel Montgomery, who grabbed the last spot ahead of Kenneth Durden and Joshua Brown. The safeties are likely to change with last years starter Jon Lejiste listed on the third team due to injury.
Maikon Bonani and Marvin Kloss retain their respective duties as place kicker and kickoff specialist, but there has been a change at punter, where redshirt freshman Mattias Ciabatti has beaten senior Justin Brockhaus-Kann on the depth chart. This change is not surprising, as Brockhaus-Kann struggled late last year.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Rise and shine: The awakening of USF’s sleeping giant
- Lightning’s Student Rush program continues to grow
- A look at the 2016-17 A&S budget
- Path to preeminence prompts office integration
- It’s time colleges reform their application process
- Freshman pitcher finds his stride in the bullpen
- Bedbugs found in USF business classrooms
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Get Involved in Preventing Mosquitoes
- Preparing 21st Century Enterprises for Success in the...
- 7 Questions to Ask Before Hiring Your Wedding Photographer
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A Safer Alternative to Opioids for Treating Chronic Pain
- How Brand Marketers Drive Lift in Loyalty, Reach
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
- Rolling Stones Exhibit Rocks Music Fans
- Enhance Your Summer Look With These Style Tips
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board
- LendEDU 2016 College Students and Personal Finance Study
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016