Dolphins force Bulls to settle with series split
Just one day after the USF baseball team stayed hot with an 8-0 win over Jacksonville, the Dolphins flipped the script by winning the second game 9-2.
The Bulls were forced to settle for a series split, in which the outcome of both games was decided well before the final pitch was thrown.
"I told these guys that this team would be ready for us," coach Lelo Prado said. "I guess they thought since they won 8-0 (Tuesday) that they would come in here and do the same thing."
As well as Matt Reed pitched the night before, starting pitcher Kyle Parker was on the opposite end of the spectrum. The junior southpaw struggled from the
get-go, giving up two runs in the first frame, due in large part to two walks. Parker was tagged with the loss, working 3 1/3 innings and giving up six hits and five runs, along with four walks.
"It all starts with pitching," Prado said. "You see, the way you start the game, it affects a lot of things. But you're not always going to pitch shutouts. Offensively, we had some chances early in the game and we didn't do a good job of taking advantage."
USF's offense, which seemed to find its legs while scoring 42 runs in its last four games, looked ineffective once again. The performance was reminiscent of the five-game stretch from Feb. 22 to Feb. 28, in which they went 1-4.
Jimmy Falla was responsible for the only meaningful USF run of the game, and he was helped by a throwing error on Dolphin catcher Matt Frank. For the game, the Bulls managed eight hits. Despite the aid of three Jacksonville errors, USF saw just one run cross home plate before it scored one more in the ninth, when the game was already out of hand.
"It's easy to win when you're up four, five (to) nothing," Prado said. "It takes a real team to play when you're down 5-0."
Jacksonville pitcher Alex McRae, who played third base Tuesday night, got the start for the Dolphins. The utility player pitched seven strong innings, allowing just five hits and one run while striking out four USF batters.
The loss will drop the Bulls to 8-5 on the season and halts USF's four-game winning streak. USF's next game will be against Eastern Illinois on Friday night at 7, when the Bulls will begin a three-game weekend series.
"Some of the guys out there have been with this program a while now," Prado said "and I won't take them rolling out there down 5-1 and not play nine innings the right way."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
- Z Baked provides warm cookies on demand
- Addicted to Apple: a dire diagnosis for millenials
- USF partners with World Health Organization
- Speaker sees astronomy through historical lens
- Bulls aim to bounce back on homestand
- USF Oliver Gallery gets ‘Down and Dirty’
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership