Defense looks to rebound in Spring Game
Last weeks Green and Gold Bowl wasnt exactly an impressive showing for the USF defense, giving up 83 combined points to the various USF offenses. In Saturdays Spring Game at Raymond James Stadium, however, the defense is determined to have a better showing.
We didnt (do much team practice) today, but Im glad we didnt because it almost turned into a scrimmage out there, coach Skip Holtz said of Wednesdays energetic session. It was just a lot of jabbering, a lot of emotion, a lot of celebrating. It was a passionate practice. The defense feels like they have something to prove. Theyre tired of reading, The offense scored 10 touchdowns in the scrimmage.
Each of USFs three quarterbacks created multiple touchdowns during last Saturdays scrimmage at Corbett Stadium. Yet with the team moving to Raymond James Stadium, its actual competition field, the defense is determined to have a better showing Saturday.
Starting quarterback B.J. Daniels said the mind games have already begun.
I cant make it across the field without somebody saying something to me, Daniels said. Its a fiery bunch and it started with the linebackers. Im not going to mention any names, but it started with them.
The defense will have to adapt to life without defensive tackle Cory Grissom, who fractured his right fibula near the ankle Monday. Grissoms surgery is set for today, with an expected recovery time of about three months.
Without Grissom, a key player in the Bulls run defense, the line is very thin. Only Luke Sager and Elkino Watson have significant experience at the position. Sager accounted for 10 tackles last season, while Watson recorded 33 in a breakout freshman year.
While the linebackers will have a new rotation in front of them, senior Sam Barrington said the defensive unit is ready for Saturdays test.
I think today solidified that its going to be high energy, he said. Im looking forward to Saturday, for real.
Gate C will open for fans at 5 p.m., with the kickoff scheduled for 6 p.m. Parking and admission is free for the general public.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Students can test their survival skills at today's Survivalist Social
- Taggart sticking with DC Woodie with No. 22 Navy looming
- ABC's John Quinones brings perseverance to ULS
- County plans traffic light outside IQ Apartments
- Despite injury, Flowers to start against No. 22 Navy
- Trump, Clinton focus on Bay Area with early voting commencing
- Building a BRIDGE
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Toques modernos a la celebración tradicional del...
- Which Home Upgrades Really Pay Off?
- Reverse Mortgages Can Be a Valuable Retirement Tool
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
- Fitness Sauna Promotes Health and Profit for Small...
- Backpack Offers Instant Drink Discreetly At the Push of a...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!
- COLLEGE FOOTBALL CONTINUES THIS WEEKEND WITH FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT FIU - only on beIN SPORTS