Defense looks to rebound in Spring Game
Last weeks Green and Gold Bowl wasnt exactly an impressive showing for the USF defense, giving up 83 combined points to the various USF offenses. In Saturdays Spring Game at Raymond James Stadium, however, the defense is determined to have a better showing.
We didnt (do much team practice) today, but Im glad we didnt because it almost turned into a scrimmage out there, coach Skip Holtz said of Wednesdays energetic session. It was just a lot of jabbering, a lot of emotion, a lot of celebrating. It was a passionate practice. The defense feels like they have something to prove. Theyre tired of reading, The offense scored 10 touchdowns in the scrimmage.
Each of USFs three quarterbacks created multiple touchdowns during last Saturdays scrimmage at Corbett Stadium. Yet with the team moving to Raymond James Stadium, its actual competition field, the defense is determined to have a better showing Saturday.
Starting quarterback B.J. Daniels said the mind games have already begun.
I cant make it across the field without somebody saying something to me, Daniels said. Its a fiery bunch and it started with the linebackers. Im not going to mention any names, but it started with them.
The defense will have to adapt to life without defensive tackle Cory Grissom, who fractured his right fibula near the ankle Monday. Grissoms surgery is set for today, with an expected recovery time of about three months.
Without Grissom, a key player in the Bulls run defense, the line is very thin. Only Luke Sager and Elkino Watson have significant experience at the position. Sager accounted for 10 tackles last season, while Watson recorded 33 in a breakout freshman year.
While the linebackers will have a new rotation in front of them, senior Sam Barrington said the defensive unit is ready for Saturdays test.
I think today solidified that its going to be high energy, he said. Im looking forward to Saturday, for real.
Gate C will open for fans at 5 p.m., with the kickoff scheduled for 6 p.m. Parking and admission is free for the general public.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Cosplayers to suit up for Tampa Bay Comic Con
- Search continues for graves at Dozier
- USF Athletics: What you might have missed this summer
- Pujol represents Bulls in FIBA World Cup
- The health consequences of a night with Netflix
- Colleges should worry about losing funding over Title IX violations
- Renovations revitalize USF Bookstore
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall
- A Tip About Secondhand Smoke and Asthma
- Save Energy and Money With Home Lighting Techniques
- Former Smoker: You Can Quit