Confident Bulls ready for mid week series
Two days after the USF baseball team completed a dominating weekend sweep of the Savannah State Tigers, a three-game series in which the Bulls outscored the Tigers 34-11, the team will begin a two-game series against the Jacksonville Dolphins.
USF's bats gained back the confidence that was lost in their preceding five-game stretch, when the Bulls lost four of their last five games and scored just five runs in their four losses combined.
Senior third baseman Daniel Rockhold, who struggled to a slow start in his first eight games of the season, broke through in the three-game series, batting .555 with two home runs, seven RBIs and five scored runs.
Coach Lelo Prado said the team's offense started up again after their game against the New York Yankees Friday at George Steinbrenner Field.
"We really got our offense going," Prado said. "It really started with the Yankee game. … We got some good at-bats and were really focused. We carried that over against Savannah State. If we can keep doing that, we are going to become a good little ballclub."
Another positive that the Bulls gained from the weekend was consistent pitching; their staff held the Tigers to just 11 runs. The most promising performance came in the final game of the series, when senior ace Andrew Barbosa flashed the brilliance he showed before Tommy John surgery in the offseason.
"I was happy for (Barbosa), he pitched 5 quality innings" Prado said. "that's what we expect from him... you could really tell he was getting impatient (last game)."
Barbosa worked five innings, allowing just one hit, a leadoff single in the first inning, and proceeded to retire 15 consecutive batters. He also dished out six strikeouts, before being replaced by Adrian Puig to begin the sixth inning.
"He was limited, but if he keeps pitching like this, it's going to be hard to keep him off the mound," Prado said.
Though it is unlikely that Barbosa will see the mound in the midweek series, the potential for extended innings from the senior is likely to allow more freedom for the bullpen.
The Bulls have not yet announced a starting pitcher for tonight's game, which begins at 7. The second game of the series will be played Wednesday, with a scheduled first
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Three students report armed robbery
- Bulls suffer first home defeat against No. 8 Washington
- Fairs leads Bulls to two-win weekend
- Artists keep what fans love
- Bulls edge UConn in conference opener
- Students warned not to sign up for GetStudyRoom.com
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections