Bulls sweep Big East awards
With the No. 22 USF softball team setting new records for success as a team, individual honors continue to roll in for players.
The Bulls went 5-0 last week, beating Massachusetts, Hartford and sweeping a three-game set against Rutgers, setting a new record for best start to the season at 29-5.
Accordingly, the Big East recognized first baseman Stephanie Medina as Player of the Week and left-handed pitcher Sara Nevins as Pitcher of the Week for their successes. Both are only sophomores. It is
also the second time this season that USF has swept the conferences weekly awards.
Batting in the third spot in the lineup, Medina went 6-for-13 with eight RBIs, including a grand slam against the Scarlet Knights on Saturday. She earned the award twice last season as a freshman.
This is Nevins third consecutive Pitcher of the Week award and fourth in five weeks. She picked up the win in all three games against Rutgers, not allowing a run in 14.2 innings, striking out 15 Scarlet Knights and lowering her ERA to 0.55, the best in the country.
Nevins, who led the nation in saves last season with eight, has become USFs premier pitcher, putting herself atop a talented staff of three that also includes junior Lindsey Richardson and freshman Sam Greiner.
The Bulls will get a chance to make a statement against No. 4 Florida on Wednesday evening, a team it lost to 3-2 in eight innings on opening weekend Feb. 12 and gave Nevins one of her two losses this season.
She pitched 7.1 innings, allowing two earned runs in the loss. Medina went 0-for-3 with a strikeout.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Yes, Olivia, There Is a Santa, and He's Calling You
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities