Bulls sweep Big East awards
With the No. 22 USF softball team setting new records for success as a team, individual honors continue to roll in for players.
The Bulls went 5-0 last week, beating Massachusetts, Hartford and sweeping a three-game set against Rutgers, setting a new record for best start to the season at 29-5.
Accordingly, the Big East recognized first baseman Stephanie Medina as Player of the Week and left-handed pitcher Sara Nevins as Pitcher of the Week for their successes. Both are only sophomores. It is
also the second time this season that USF has swept the conferences weekly awards.
Batting in the third spot in the lineup, Medina went 6-for-13 with eight RBIs, including a grand slam against the Scarlet Knights on Saturday. She earned the award twice last season as a freshman.
This is Nevins third consecutive Pitcher of the Week award and fourth in five weeks. She picked up the win in all three games against Rutgers, not allowing a run in 14.2 innings, striking out 15 Scarlet Knights and lowering her ERA to 0.55, the best in the country.
Nevins, who led the nation in saves last season with eight, has become USFs premier pitcher, putting herself atop a talented staff of three that also includes junior Lindsey Richardson and freshman Sam Greiner.
The Bulls will get a chance to make a statement against No. 4 Florida on Wednesday evening, a team it lost to 3-2 in eight innings on opening weekend Feb. 12 and gave Nevins one of her two losses this season.
She pitched 7.1 innings, allowing two earned runs in the loss. Medina went 0-for-3 with a strikeout.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- AAC Player of the Year removed from USF softball
- Ethics committee opens investigation of SG president
- Student bands get chance for the big stage
- First all-ticket presidential debate brings calls for change
- The threat of empty promises
- Bulls enter critical final stretch
- Tampa design firm urges city to play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program