Bulls sweep Big East awards

By Michael Manganello SPORTS EDITOR
On March 26, 2012

With the No. 22 USF softball team setting new records for success as a team, individual honors continue to roll in for players.

The Bulls went 5-0 last week, beating Massachusetts, Hartford and sweeping a three-game set against Rutgers, setting a new record for best start to the season at 29-5.

Accordingly, the Big East recognized first baseman Stephanie Medina as Player of the Week and left-handed pitcher Sara Nevins as Pitcher of the Week for their successes. Both are only sophomores. It is

also the second time this season that USF has swept the conferences weekly awards.

Batting in the third spot in the lineup, Medina went 6-for-13 with eight RBIs, including a grand slam against the Scarlet Knights on Saturday. She earned the award twice last season as a freshman.

This is Nevins third consecutive Pitcher of the Week award and fourth in five weeks. She picked up the win in all three games against Rutgers, not allowing a run in 14.2 innings, striking out 15 Scarlet Knights and lowering her ERA to 0.55, the best in the country.

Nevins, who led the nation in saves last season with eight, has become USFs premier pitcher, putting herself atop a talented staff of three that also includes junior Lindsey Richardson and freshman Sam Greiner.

The Bulls will get a chance to make a statement against No. 4 Florida on Wednesday evening, a team it lost to 3-2 in eight innings on opening weekend Feb. 12 and gave Nevins one of her two losses this season.

She pitched 7.1 innings, allowing two earned runs in the loss. Medina went 0-for-3 with a strikeout.