Bulls ranking to be put to the test
For the first time this season, the USF softball team is nationally ranked.
After a 4-1 weekend at the NFCA Leadoff Classic in Clearwater, the Bulls (10-2) have jumped into the rankings at the No. 23 spot, not that coach Ken Eriksen puts much stock into being ranked this early in the season.
"I'm not sold on it, yet," he said. "We've still got a lot of work to do. … We've got 10 W's out of 12 games, and I guess that's going to open some people's eyes up and start taking us more seriously, but we just have to get better."
The Bulls will have to defend their new ranking tonight, as No. 12 Michigan arrives at the USF Softball Stadium to put them to the test.
The Wolverines also played in the Leadoff Classic, compiling a 3-2 record in the tournament. Both USF and Michigan topped Illinois State and Mississippi State in the event.
The game will be a rematch of a 7-2 Michigan win last year, when the Wolverines pulled away late.
"I thought the kids last year, when we were 0-0 in the fifth inning with them, showed our young freshman players that they could play on the same ball field with (Michigan)," Eriksen said. "We can't get caught up in the team in the other dugout. We can't get caught up on the uniform of the other team or what they look like. Hopefully, the team remains faceless over there."
One of the Bulls' shortcomings last weekend was their lack of production from the bottom of the order. In the first game against Illinois State, when the Bulls trailed 3-2 heading into the final inning, the No. 8 and No. 9 slots in the lineup combined to hit 0-for-7 with seven strikeouts.
While production from the end of the lineup has left much more to be desired, one of the Bulls' biggest strengths early this season has been the speed provided by the outfielder tandem of Gina Kafalas and Ashli Goff at the top of the lineup.
Kafalas is batting .310 with five RBIs and a .356 on-base percentage from the leadoff spot. With a .188 batting average, Goff is struggling in comparison to her breakout freshman season last year, but she gets around the diamond quickly and leads the team in runs scored.
"I have a lot of support from my teammates," Kafalas said. "When I first started, it was definitely nerve-wracking (being the leadoff hitter). It still is. I always have butterflies. I'm still nervous being the first hitter at the plate, but I just try and get as many pitches as I can and give the other eight batters behind me an idea of what she's pitching."
The first pitch between USF and Michigan is scheduled for 5 p.m, after which the Bulls head back to Clearwater for the Under Armor Invitational.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
- Z Baked provides warm cookies on demand
- Addicted to Apple: a dire diagnosis for millenials
- USF partners with World Health Organization
- Speaker sees astronomy through historical lens
- Bulls aim to bounce back on homestand
- USF Oliver Gallery gets ‘Down and Dirty’
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership