Bulls rally, fade in loss to Cuse
USF couldn't have asked for a better start to Wednesday's men's basketball game at No. 2 Syracuse, taking control early and then trading scoring runs before ultimately losing 56-48.
The Bulls (17-11, 10-5) quieted the Carrier Dome crowd, quickly jumping out to an 18-5 lead with 9:38 remaining in the first half. The Orange opened the game sluggishly, shooting 2-of-10 from the field early on.
Yet USF's offense hit a wall, closing the first half with zero points in the final 8:53 and trailing 24-20 as Syracuse found its rhythm and started taking control. The Orange ending the half on a 15-0 scoring run.
Syracuse's run extended all the way to 24-0 before the Bulls again found a footing, cutting a 33-20 deficit with 17:25 remaining to a 36-31 deficit with an 11-3 run of their own.
USF cut the deficit to just one point with 6:25 remaining before Syracuse pulled away, easing to a 9-point win.
The loss drops USF back into a tie for fifth place in the Big East with three games remaining in the regular season, beginning Sunday at home against Cincinnati at noon.
- Reporting by Michael Manganello
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF P.R.I.D.E hosts Equality Prom
- USF professor inducted into Florida Inventors Hall of Fame
- TEDxUSF gives student platform to discuss depiction of Islam in society
- Two former Bulls honored for historic careers
- Up to the numbers
- Side hustle not lifestyle to applaud
- USF baseball rallies for 9-4 win over Stetson, looks toward AAC play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Amateur Athletes Seek Non-Opioid Pain Relief
- News Site Rantt Takes The Time to Get It Right
- The Opioid Crisis' Latest Victims: Addicted Babies
- The Importance of Protecting Patents
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Award Programs
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards