Bulls open Big East play with sweep of Georgetown
The USF baseball team opened Big East play this weekend with a bang, showing consistent pitching and an offensive prowess that hadnt been present in non-conference play.
Three strong starting pitching performances carried the Bulls to a 3-0 start in conference play, with a weekend series sweep against Georgetown. Though it was against a team picked to finish last in the Big East, coach Lelo Prado said the Bulls are proud of starting their conference schedule with a sweep.
We came into the weekend wanting to start 3-0 in the Big East and we did that, he said. But we cant be satisfied, we have to start preparing for Notre Dame. We have a couple of days of practice and FAMU on Wednesday night.
Ace pitcher Andrew Barbosa took the mound Friday night and was stellar from start to finish in, arguably, his best start of the season as he continues to recover from Tommy John surgery. The senior southpaw struck out 13 Hoyas in a six-inning outing in which the only hit he allowed was a bunt single in the second inning from Corbin Blakey.
I havent seen him that sharp, Prado said. I thought he was really good. His breaking ball was good for strikes. He got ahead and just dominated a good-hitting ball club.
Relievers Adrian Puig and Nick Gonzalez combined to finish off the three-hit shutout, fueling USF to a 6-0 win to start the series.
Joey Lovecchio started for USF on Saturday evening and worked 7.2 innings, allowing five hits and just one run. The Bulls offense put up six runs once again, aided by home runs from Todd Brazeal and Alex Mendez. James Ramsay chipped in with two RBIs of his own, and the Bulls sealed a series victory with a 6-1 win.
Slow-throwing lefty Matt Reed got the start in the finale Sunday, with USF searching for a series sweep for the first time since its three-game sweep of Savannah State on March 3 and 4. Reed went six innings, allowing five hits and two runs in a back-and-forth start to the game.
Tied at 2-2, the Bulls blew the game open with two runs each in the sixth and seventh innings, thanks to RBI singles from Luis Llerena and Andrew Longley. Daniel Rockholds RBI double in the eighth finished the scoring in the 7-2 victory.
We knew we needed good pitching with (Austin) Adams hurt and the guys stepped up, Prado said. We had good starting pitching, good relief pitching and good hitting.
USF hosts a single non-conference game against Florida A&M at 5 p.m. Wednesday before returning to Big East play against Notre Dame on Friday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses
- New App Promises to Revolutionize the Way We Experience Video