Bulls lose in AAC semifinals, continue to NCAA Tournament
The USF softball team was unable to move past Louisville in the AAC Tournament on Friday as they were beaten by a score of 8-0 in Houston.
The loss against the Cardinals on Friday was nothing new to the Bulls, as they have lost all four times the two teams were matched up this season.
Sara Nevins (27-8) helped lead the Bulls in their first and only victory of the tournament in a 5-3 win over Memphis, but she struggled mightily against the Cardinals. The senior pitcher surrendered five runs in less than two innings and when she left the game, the Bulls were losing 5-0.
The majority of the damage done by the Cardinals came on one swing by Katie Keller. The senior second baseman hit a grand slam in the second inning, giving Louisville more runs than they would end up needing. Even without the grand slam, Nevins was still ineffective with her pitches.
Nevins had 58 pitches including three walks in the 1 2/3 innings she pitched. In comparison, she threw 88 pitches and issued no walks in 5 1/3 innings in the victory against Memphis.
The Bulls struggled at the plate as well on Friday, as freshman Juli Weber was the only batter to record multiple hits. Aside from Weber, only three batters were able to get a hit.
Despite the loss, it was announced Sunday night that the Bulls have been selected to play in the NCAA Tournament. They will begin tournament play by squaring off against South Carolina in Tallahassee on Friday at 4:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses