Bulls lose in AAC semifinals, continue to NCAA Tournament
The USF softball team was unable to move past Louisville in the AAC Tournament on Friday as they were beaten by a score of 8-0 in Houston.
The loss against the Cardinals on Friday was nothing new to the Bulls, as they have lost all four times the two teams were matched up this season.
Sara Nevins (27-8) helped lead the Bulls in their first and only victory of the tournament in a 5-3 win over Memphis, but she struggled mightily against the Cardinals. The senior pitcher surrendered five runs in less than two innings and when she left the game, the Bulls were losing 5-0.
The majority of the damage done by the Cardinals came on one swing by Katie Keller. The senior second baseman hit a grand slam in the second inning, giving Louisville more runs than they would end up needing. Even without the grand slam, Nevins was still ineffective with her pitches.
Nevins had 58 pitches including three walks in the 1 2/3 innings she pitched. In comparison, she threw 88 pitches and issued no walks in 5 1/3 innings in the victory against Memphis.
The Bulls struggled at the plate as well on Friday, as freshman Juli Weber was the only batter to record multiple hits. Aside from Weber, only three batters were able to get a hit.
Despite the loss, it was announced Sunday night that the Bulls have been selected to play in the NCAA Tournament. They will begin tournament play by squaring off against South Carolina in Tallahassee on Friday at 4:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Art exhibit merges old and new
- USF under federal investigation, accused of mishandling sexual assault case
- Employers search for enthusiastic Bulls
- USF and MOSI join hands in science
- USF prepares for SMU rematch without Perry
- Holston defies doubters to reach D-I
- USF’s Mock Trial turns classroom into courtroom
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths