Bulls knock off No. 21 DePaul in overtime
A nationally ranked Big East opponent entered the Campus Recreation Center on Tuesday night and left disappointed, asthe USF women's basketball team beat No. 21 DePaul in a dramatic 66-63 overtime game.
DePaul started off with the hot hand, nailing three of four 3-pointers within the first few minutes of play - two of which were made by senior guard Deanna Ortiz.
After falling behind 9-3 early, USF (11-8, 3-2) quickly narrowed the gap and kept it that way.The Bulls trailed by as manyas five points in the second half, but fought back and stayedcompetitive in a game whichsaw six lead changes.
USF trailed by two at thebreak and still trailed by thatmargin with 20 seconds leftin the game. Sophomorecenter Akila McDonald stepped up, and made a lay-up to even the score at 60.
The Bulls had a chance to win with a second left inregulation as junior guard Inga Orekhova missed a free throw, sending the game intoovertime. Orekhova finishedthe night with 13 points.
USF limited DePaul tothree points in the overtimeperiod and scored six, includinga pair of clutch free throwsfrom McDonald.
"I haven't been doing what I know I can do on the court," McDonald said. "It was time to show (coach Jose Fernandez)that I can do whatever heneeds me to do."
USF benefited from balancedscoring, as three playersreached double figuresin points. Senior guardJasmine Wynne and juniorguard Kaneisha Saundersled the team with 16 points.
"That's something we work on in practice," Saunders said. "Coach gives us differentscenarios and gives everyonean opportunity to score."
After knocking off DePaul,USF will get another shot at a ranked team when No. 7 Rutgers comes to town Saturday night.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF reviewing employee after allegations of sexual harassment at previous job
- USF unveils "The Village," USF's latest housing project
- From farm to fame
- Amendments 1, 2 spark controversy among voters
- Complete Florida aims to help adults complete degree
- Bulls’ backs against the wall with No. 22 Navy on Friday
- Taggart in middle of the pack in annual salary
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Content Agency Provides the Best Bang for Your...
- Easy Ways to Make Your Media Space More Enjoyable
- Toques modernos a la celebración tradicional del...
- Which Home Upgrades Really Pay Off?
- Reverse Mortgages Can Be a Valuable Retirement Tool
- Family Friday Destination: Try This TV Trio
- A Life Half Full: Aging With Optimism
- Lights, Camera, Action -- Holiday Style
- Bates Family Grows as Daughters Become Moms
- Women Face Challenges When It Comes to Health Coverage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- DePauw Student Wins $15K Scholarship to Study in New Zealand
- GoFundMe Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 10 Promising Students
- Kaplan Survey: Law School Slump May be Over, but Recovery is Fragile
- CONFERENCE USA COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL AND MEN'S SOCCER COVERAGE ONLY ON beIN SPORTS
- Exclusive campus app bans professors and launches into 30 campuses!