Bulls knock off No. 21 DePaul in overtime
A nationally ranked Big East opponent entered the Campus Recreation Center on Tuesday night and left disappointed, asthe USF women's basketball team beat No. 21 DePaul in a dramatic 66-63 overtime game.
DePaul started off with the hot hand, nailing three of four 3-pointers within the first few minutes of play - two of which were made by senior guard Deanna Ortiz.
After falling behind 9-3 early, USF (11-8, 3-2) quickly narrowed the gap and kept it that way.The Bulls trailed by as manyas five points in the second half, but fought back and stayedcompetitive in a game whichsaw six lead changes.
USF trailed by two at thebreak and still trailed by thatmargin with 20 seconds leftin the game. Sophomorecenter Akila McDonald stepped up, and made a lay-up to even the score at 60.
The Bulls had a chance to win with a second left inregulation as junior guard Inga Orekhova missed a free throw, sending the game intoovertime. Orekhova finishedthe night with 13 points.
USF limited DePaul tothree points in the overtimeperiod and scored six, includinga pair of clutch free throwsfrom McDonald.
"I haven't been doing what I know I can do on the court," McDonald said. "It was time to show (coach Jose Fernandez)that I can do whatever heneeds me to do."
USF benefited from balancedscoring, as three playersreached double figuresin points. Senior guardJasmine Wynne and juniorguard Kaneisha Saundersled the team with 16 points.
"That's something we work on in practice," Saunders said. "Coach gives us differentscenarios and gives everyonean opportunity to score."
After knocking off DePaul,USF will get another shot at a ranked team when No. 7 Rutgers comes to town Saturday night.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
- Today's Convenience Stores are Healthier and Hipper Than...
- Gadgets to Make Your Commute More Comfortable
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS