Bulls host surprising Seton Hall on Friday
The men's basketball team returns home Friday nightto welcome Seton Hall, one of the most surprising teams
early on in Big East play.
The No. 24 Pirates (15-2),picked to finish 13th in the preseason media poll, come to Tampa second in theBig East with a 4-1 recordin the league, just a halfgame back of undefeatedNo. 1 Syracuse. Seton Halllost 75-49 to the Orange in the Big East opener Dec. 28. Their only other loss of the season came on a neutralfloor to Northwestern 80-73 in the Charleston Classic.
Seton Hall is led byforward Herb Pope, whoaverages a double-double with17.5 points and 10.8 rebounds per game. Jordan Theodore (16.5) and Fuquan Edwin (14.9) also average doublefigures in points.
USF (9-8, 2-2) is coming off a 60-49 loss at Notre Dameon Tuesday night, whichended a two-game Big East winning streak.
Guard Jawanza Poland, who made his season debutDec. 19 in a win overCleveland State, is finding his rhythm after a long spell onthe sidelines with a backinjury, averaging 11 points per game. He scored 12 points off the bench against theFighting Irish.
USF lost 64-55 at Seton Hall in last season's Big Eastopener. Guard Hugh Robertson led the Bulls with 14 points in that loss, though Poland and forward Augustus Gilchrist were also in double figures.
USF is 8-1 at homethis season and 4-1 atthe Tampa Bay Times Forum,with the only blemishbeing a 60-57 loss todefending national championConnecticut on Dec. 28.
Tipoff at the Forum isscheduled for 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- AAC Player of the Year removed from USF softball
- Ethics committee opens investigation of SG president
- Student bands get chance for the big stage
- First all-ticket presidential debate brings calls for change
- The threat of empty promises
- Bulls enter critical final stretch
- Tampa design firm urges city to play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program