Bulls host surprising Seton Hall on Friday
The men's basketball team returns home Friday nightto welcome Seton Hall, one of the most surprising teams
early on in Big East play.
The No. 24 Pirates (15-2),picked to finish 13th in the preseason media poll, come to Tampa second in theBig East with a 4-1 recordin the league, just a halfgame back of undefeatedNo. 1 Syracuse. Seton Halllost 75-49 to the Orange in the Big East opener Dec. 28. Their only other loss of the season came on a neutralfloor to Northwestern 80-73 in the Charleston Classic.
Seton Hall is led byforward Herb Pope, whoaverages a double-double with17.5 points and 10.8 rebounds per game. Jordan Theodore (16.5) and Fuquan Edwin (14.9) also average doublefigures in points.
USF (9-8, 2-2) is coming off a 60-49 loss at Notre Dameon Tuesday night, whichended a two-game Big East winning streak.
Guard Jawanza Poland, who made his season debutDec. 19 in a win overCleveland State, is finding his rhythm after a long spell onthe sidelines with a backinjury, averaging 11 points per game. He scored 12 points off the bench against theFighting Irish.
USF lost 64-55 at Seton Hall in last season's Big Eastopener. Guard Hugh Robertson led the Bulls with 14 points in that loss, though Poland and forward Augustus Gilchrist were also in double figures.
USF is 8-1 at homethis season and 4-1 atthe Tampa Bay Times Forum,with the only blemishbeing a 60-57 loss todefending national championConnecticut on Dec. 28.
Tipoff at the Forum isscheduled for 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities