Bulls get shot at New York Yankees on Friday
A special opportunity awaits the USF baseball team Friday, as the Bulls will line up against the New York Yankees at George M. Steinbrenner Field.
Though it is just an exhibition game, USF (4-4) is looking to right the ship, having lost four of its last five games since starting the season 3-0. The Bulls allowed 16 hits in a 12-1 loss to No. 19 UCF in Orlando on Tuesday night.
The Yankees begin their spring training schedule Saturday against the Philadelphia Phillies, but will use Friday's game as a tune-up before facing Major League competition for the first time. The Phillies hosted Florida State in Clearwater on Thursday and used a nearly full-strength lineup.
USF last played the Yankees in 2008, an 11-4 loss. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.
The Bulls return to collegiate action Saturday against Savannah State at 6 p.m., before hosting a Sunday doubleheader at noon.
Bulls in Connecticut
For the second year in a row, the USF women's basketball team faces Pittsburgh in the opening round of the Big East Tournament, being held at the XL Center in Hartford, Conn.
The Bulls (16-14, 8-8) enter the tournament coming off a 64-56 overtime win over Providence at home on Monday, earning the No. 9 seed. Pittsburgh enters the tournament at 8-21 and 0-16 in the Big East.
Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. Friday, with the winner moving on to face the No. 8 seed DePaul at 2 p.m. Saturday. The Bulls topped the Blue Demons 66-63 in overtime on Jan. 17.
Should the Bulls advance, they would meet regular season champion Notre Dame in the quarterfinals Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board