Bulls get shot at New York Yankees on Friday
A special opportunity awaits the USF baseball team Friday, as the Bulls will line up against the New York Yankees at George M. Steinbrenner Field.
Though it is just an exhibition game, USF (4-4) is looking to right the ship, having lost four of its last five games since starting the season 3-0. The Bulls allowed 16 hits in a 12-1 loss to No. 19 UCF in Orlando on Tuesday night.
The Yankees begin their spring training schedule Saturday against the Philadelphia Phillies, but will use Friday's game as a tune-up before facing Major League competition for the first time. The Phillies hosted Florida State in Clearwater on Thursday and used a nearly full-strength lineup.
USF last played the Yankees in 2008, an 11-4 loss. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.
The Bulls return to collegiate action Saturday against Savannah State at 6 p.m., before hosting a Sunday doubleheader at noon.
Bulls in Connecticut
For the second year in a row, the USF women's basketball team faces Pittsburgh in the opening round of the Big East Tournament, being held at the XL Center in Hartford, Conn.
The Bulls (16-14, 8-8) enter the tournament coming off a 64-56 overtime win over Providence at home on Monday, earning the No. 9 seed. Pittsburgh enters the tournament at 8-21 and 0-16 in the Big East.
Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. Friday, with the winner moving on to face the No. 8 seed DePaul at 2 p.m. Saturday. The Bulls topped the Blue Demons 66-63 in overtime on Jan. 17.
Should the Bulls advance, they would meet regular season champion Notre Dame in the quarterfinals Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Three students report armed robbery
- Bulls suffer first home defeat against No. 8 Washington
- Fairs leads Bulls to two-win weekend
- Artists keep what fans love
- Bulls edge UConn in conference opener
- Students warned not to sign up for GetStudyRoom.com
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections