Sports commentators treat Tim Tebow unfairly
Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow has been in the national spotlight since his days at the University of Florida, where his on-the-field accomplishments made him one of the greatest college football players of all time.
Now entering his second season in the NFL, Tebow is under intense scrutiny by the media, sports analysts and his own peers who feel that he's not capable of making the transition from college to the NFL.
According to USA Today, former NFL quarterback and CBS analyst Boomer Esiason said at a press event, "He can't play. He can't throw. I'm not here to insult him. The reality is he was a great college football player, maybe the greatest college football player of his time. But he's not an NFL quarterback right now."
Former NFL player and ESPN analyst Merril Hoge, one of Tebow's most ardent critics, spares no punches when it comes to critiquing Tebow's abilities on the field, expressing on numerous occasions that he's a terrible quarterback.
There is certainly merit to the criticism analysts have given Tebow, considering he is still a young, inexperienced quarterback. But there is a difference between criticism and simply wanting a player to fail.
The sports media is notorious for building players up to the point where they seem larger than life, giving them coverage that may be unwarranted. Expectations were high for Tebow, who was taken 25th overall by the Denver Broncos in the 2010 NFL draft. His jersey set a draft-weekend sales record. When players such as Tebow don't live up to unattainable expectations, the media tears them down, dehumanizing them in the process.
Analysts will try to add a little controversy into their shows to boost ratings. While this attempt at showmanship can certainly entertain, it also denies viewers a fair analysis of the game.
There was a time when fans just watched the game to root for their favorite teams and players they grew up with, as well as to obtain bragging rights with their co-workers Monday morning. Now it's all about fantasy football, stats, massive egos and sports media that reward controversy rather than players' ability and character.
Tebow does not fit into the stereotypical NFL mold that most fans and players have grown accustomed to watching. Tebow's faith, symbolized in the gesture of kneeling and praying before a game, now called "Tebowing," has been immortalized by fans and mocked by opposing teams, including some Detroit Lions players Sunday who mimicked him by kneeling after making big plays.
Tebow, at least in front of the cameras, is a down-to-earth, humble individual who shouldn't be disrespected for possessing an old-fashioned, winning attitude that is a rarity in today's egocentric sports landscape.
Frank Nuez is a senior majoring in accounting.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Despite losing record, Bulls sets sights on conference title
- Z Baked provides warm cookies on demand
- Addicted to Apple: a dire diagnosis for millennials
- USF partners with World Health Organization
- Speaker sees astronomy through historical lens
- Bulls aim to bounce back on homestand
- USF Oliver Gallery gets ‘Down and Dirty’
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership