Soares reaches new heights in second season
Sophomore Natalia Soares has had to go through a different than most players coming to college.
The Brazilian native came to USF specifically to play volleyball and study at the university level. Naturally, moving to a different country can be difficult on its own, but Soares also had to adjust to the college sports and academic lifestyle.
“It was hard in the beginning, but I love America. I love everyone here,” Soares said. “They’re welcoming and they made it really easy.”
Soares used her freshman year at USF to get familiar with her surroundings and learn the language, as well as learn the Bulls’ style of play.
Coach Courtney Draper was there for Soares’ transition into college sports and she is impressed at how the sophomore setter has handled it.
“I think it was a little bit of a struggle early in her freshman year,” Draper said. “She overcame it pretty quickly.”
Soares is quickly turning into one of the leaders on a young Bulls squad featuring seven freshmen.
This weekend, despite a poor result from the team, Soares recorded a career high in digs against Northern Colorado, with 19.
Recording almost 20 digs is a sign that Soares’ defense is improving and is perhaps the biggest part of her game that has improved over the past year, Draper said.
“The biggest area she’s grown in is her defensive game,” Draper said. “It wasn’t bad before, but she didn’t have a special focus in that area.”
Time will tell if her on-court improvement will translate to more wins for the Bulls. This weekend, the Bulls are hoping Soares can have more career-best games to help them get back to a winning record.
This weekend will feature the Bulls at home at the USF Invitational, starting with the University of Pittsburgh at 7 p.m. The series will also feature Florida Atlantic University and Purdue University.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- AAC Player of the Year removed from USF softball
- Ethics committee opens investigation of SG president
- Student bands get chance for the big stage
- First all-ticket presidential debate brings calls for change
- The threat of empty promises
- Bulls enter critical final stretch
- Tampa design firm urges city to play
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program