Snow forces soccer postponement in New Jersey
Having already clinched a share of the Big East Red Division title last week, the USF men's soccer team plays today for an outright division championship.
The Bulls' hopes at claiming the whole title were frozen Sunday, as their road match against second-place Rutgers was postponed due to inclement weather in Piscataway, N.J.
A heavy snowstorm prevented the Bulls (12-2-2, 7-0-1) from getting on the field, as the game, which was originally scheduled for 1 p.m., was postponed to Monday at 11 a.m. Piscataway received approximately 2.1 inches of snow Sunday, according to weather.com.
The Scarlet Knights were, however, able to kickoff their home football game against West Virginia on time at 3:30 p.m.
With an undefeated streak almost a month and a half long, the delay and lost rhythm is hardly what the Bulls hoped for. They haven't lost since Sept. 16, going 10-0-1 in that span, and are currently on a seven-game win streak.
In their last game, a 3-0 win against Cincinnati on Wednesday, the Bulls secured a share of the Big East Red Division title. However, a Rutgers overtime victory over St. John's later that night prevented them from winning the division outright at that time.
The chance to play another meaningful game could be a positive for the Bulls, allowing them to focus on their play instead of celebrating a division title, as they continue to gear up for the postseason.
"We're not going to focus too much on the division title anymore," USF coach George Kiefer said. "We won, and that's great. But we've got a big game to play against Rutgers, so we have to stay focused and keep our eyes on the prize."
The Bulls already secured one prize - a home Big East tournament game, which will be played Saturday against an undetermined opponent. Along with a Big East tournament game, the Bulls are also on track to host up to two NCAA tournament games at the Corbett Soccer Stadium if they keep winning and stay in the top eight of the RPI.
The Bulls need only a draw or win today against the Scarlet Knights to earn sole possession of the Red Division title.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Cosplayers to suit up for Tampa Bay Comic Con
- Search continues for graves at Dozier
- USF Athletics: What you might have missed this summer
- Pujol represents Bulls in FIBA World Cup
- The health consequences of a night with Netflix
- Colleges should worry about losing funding over Title IX violations
- Renovations revitalize USF Bookstore
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?