Snow forces soccer postponement in New Jersey
Having already clinched a share of the Big East Red Division title last week, the USF men's soccer team plays today for an outright division championship.
The Bulls' hopes at claiming the whole title were frozen Sunday, as their road match against second-place Rutgers was postponed due to inclement weather in Piscataway, N.J.
A heavy snowstorm prevented the Bulls (12-2-2, 7-0-1) from getting on the field, as the game, which was originally scheduled for 1 p.m., was postponed to Monday at 11 a.m. Piscataway received approximately 2.1 inches of snow Sunday, according to weather.com.
The Scarlet Knights were, however, able to kickoff their home football game against West Virginia on time at 3:30 p.m.
With an undefeated streak almost a month and a half long, the delay and lost rhythm is hardly what the Bulls hoped for. They haven't lost since Sept. 16, going 10-0-1 in that span, and are currently on a seven-game win streak.
In their last game, a 3-0 win against Cincinnati on Wednesday, the Bulls secured a share of the Big East Red Division title. However, a Rutgers overtime victory over St. John's later that night prevented them from winning the division outright at that time.
The chance to play another meaningful game could be a positive for the Bulls, allowing them to focus on their play instead of celebrating a division title, as they continue to gear up for the postseason.
"We're not going to focus too much on the division title anymore," USF coach George Kiefer said. "We won, and that's great. But we've got a big game to play against Rutgers, so we have to stay focused and keep our eyes on the prize."
The Bulls already secured one prize - a home Big East tournament game, which will be played Saturday against an undetermined opponent. Along with a Big East tournament game, the Bulls are also on track to host up to two NCAA tournament games at the Corbett Soccer Stadium if they keep winning and stay in the top eight of the RPI.
The Bulls need only a draw or win today against the Scarlet Knights to earn sole possession of the Red Division title.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
- Celebra una fiesta de Posadas inolvidable para tu familia...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities