Smith closes out late win
A strong, late closeout from a senior starter helped the USF womens basketball team overcome a turnover-filled evening and move to 3-0 for the season with a 60-50 win over the Bradley Braves.
Senior guard Andrea Smith, coming off of an ACL injury that kept her out of the 2011 season, scored 15 of the teams final 18 points to carry USF to the win.
We tried to get her the ball in space, coach Jose Fernandez said. We isolated her, and she had a good night. She was 50 percent from the floor. Her shot selection has really improved.
The win over the Braves made for Smiths third straight game scoring into double figures. Junior guard Inga Orekhova pitched in as well with six rebounds of her own and scoring 10 points.
It didnt just come from me. It came from our bench, Smith said. I think we had a collective group that just brought it.
The help from USFs bench played a big role in the win. The Bulls put up 28 points off the bench to Bradleys 16.
We knew Bradley was going to be a good basketball team, but if you hold a team to 50 points, 23 in the first half youre doing a great job defensively, Fernandez said.
While the fans can enjoy a third straight win for the Bulls as they head into another home game, against North Dakota at home this Friday at 7 p.m., one area of concern for the Bulls is in their turnovers.
In the first three games of the season the Bulls lost the ball 20, 21 and 20 times, respectively. This concern, along with being out-rebounded through the game against Bradley, is something
Fernandez said he feels the team needs to improve on.
This is uncharacteristic of our basketball team, Fernandez said. We have to get back to practice these next two days, address these two issues and get ready to play Friday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections