Short-handed Bulls fall to Villanova
After a dismal performance at home against No. 24 Marquette, the USF mens basketball team was back on the road on Saturday in a rematch against Villanova.
Hoping to regroup from the loss and end their five-game losing streak, the Bulls (10-13, 1-10) continued to struggle in offense as they played without their leading scorer and rebounder Victor Rudd who sat out with a groin injury as the Wildcats (15-9, 6-5) defeated USF 68-40.
Freshmen guard JaVontae Hawkins was the only Bull in double figures with 13 points as USF shot 23 percent, 11-of-47 from the floor.
In the first half, the Bulls struggled to get their offense moving as the Wildcats defense held the Bulls to shooting 5-for-22 from the floor, 23 percent, and five turnovers while Villanova shot 13-for-20 from the floor, including a shot at the buzzer to give them a 39-16 lead at halftime.
Villanova continued their onslaught in the second half, leading by many as 34 points and holding the Bulls to their season low for field goals made (11) and season worst from the 3-point arc, shooting 1-for-17 from the floor, five percent.
Wildcats Darrun Hilliard led all scorers with 17 points and one steal.
The Bulls look to end their six-game losing streak, dropping 10 of their last 11 games, as they return home to take on Providence on Wednesday at 9 p.m. The game is the first of two consecutive home games.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Fernandez reaches 300 win plateau in 30-point win
- Students plan protest for Inauguration Day
- Sexual harassment lawsuit involving USF professor settled
- The division of Black Lives Matter
- Ways to find internships before graduation
- EDITORIAL: No nostalgia spared for end of Ringling Bros. circus
- Healthcare: A right that cannot be gambled with
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Top Tips for Timely Performance Driving
- Wellness Program Rewards Healthy New Year's Goals
- New Medical Supplement Offers Advance in Bladder Control
- Get An Edge on College Prep Tests
- Noodles to the Rescue: Make Dinner In a Snap
- Student Athletes Emulate the Pros in Abusing Prescription...
- Specialized Firefighter Training Helps Save Farmers' Lives
- One New Year's Resolution You Don't Have to Keep to Be a...
- Reverse Mortgage Can Help With Retirement Planning
- How to Protect Your Data in a Connected World
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College Students Head Back to Campus with Amazon Prime Student
- Phi Kappa Phi 2017 Award Programs Now Open
- MAX FROST RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR INFECTIOUS TRACK "ADDERALL"
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates