Season starts with weekend tournament
The Bulls will welcome four teams to The Corral this weekend, where they will host a season opening tournament.
With eight new players on a roster of 14, USF coach Courtney Draper said it will be a feeling-out process for the coaching staff as they discover which rotations and lineups work well for the team.
“During opening weekend it’s hard to know what to expect,” Draper said. “It’s a time when you’re finding your strengths and weaknesses.”
While all the games are important for the Bulls this weekend, the game that has the Bulls’ attention is the first one, against University of Miami.
The Hurricanes come into the game sitting just outside the Top 25 in the NCAA preseason polls after a 2012 season with an impressive 26-6 record.
While this would intimidate some teams, the 2013 Bulls said they are excited to take on such a highly ranked squad in the USF home opener.
“It means a lot for me to beat this team because it is from my home town,” senior Andrea Rodriguez Gomez said.
Sophomore Wylie Devlin said the Bulls have an added sense of excitement and anxiousness built up because the game is the first of the season.
“Miami’s our first game. Hopefully we have tons of people come out. I’m just really excited,” she said.
Only time will tell if the Bulls are up to the challenge, but their fearless attitude could give them the push they need to be victorious.
USF will also face Austin Peay, The Citadel and Ball State this weekend.
Draper said these opponents are not to be taken lightly.
Only Austin Peay had a winning record last year, but Draper said USF needs to be on its toes against each team because it is the opening weekend and anything can happen.
Last year, USF struggled in its opening weekend, winning one out of three games.
Game 1 for USF in The Corral begins at 2 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Quinton Flowers wins AAC Offensive Player of the Year
- BOT formally approves Genshaft bonus
- Top 10 moments of the fall semester
- Netflix: No Wi-Fi needed
- USF Health Services sees spike in clients as exams near
- USF System President Genshaft up for performance-based stipend
- USF students reflect on fall semester
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got Tech Neck? Here's Some Advice.
- Three Simple Swaps for a Healthier Lunch
- Epilepsy Awareness Day 2016 Largest Turnout Ever
- Give the Gift of Connectivity, Without the Stress
- New Cancer Treatment Continues to Progress By Filing for...
- How Many Years Does it Take to Become a Doctor of...
- Many Working Mothers Can't Afford Their Health Insurance...
- A Date with Destiny: Video Games Teach Kids Life Lessons
- The Magic Number for Millennials: $51,000
- A New Read on Literacy: The 3 Keys to Building Lifelong...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- PEPSICO AND 21ST CENTURY FOX ANNOUNCE "THE SEARCH FOR HIDDEN FIGURES"
- The Most Popular Entry-Level Jobs and Companies for College Graduates
- National Meningitis Association Urges Students to take Pledge2Prevent
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Foundation Award Grants to Help 20 Colleges and Universities Go Tobacco-Free in Largest Initiative of Its Kind
- BPU Offers Sentiment Analysis Free to Universities