School of Architecture celebrates 'Archtober'
Architecture is visible in every aspect of life. It’s in neighborhoods, businesses and on university campuses.
Beginning today, the American Institute of Architects (AIA) Tampa Bay and USF are partnering to bring the annual Archtober, a month-long celebration of architecture and design.
“We want to bring architecture to the forefront of the public eye during this month to make them realize just how much of an impact it has on their daily lives,” Robert MacLeod, director of the USF School of Architecture and Design, said.
The celebration begins with a screening of the documentary “Archiculture” at the Muvico in Ybor City on Thursday night at 6 p.m. According to the documentary’s website, the film “takes a thoughtful, yet critical look at the architectural studio.”
The film screening is followed by award ceremonies, learning events and lectures scattered throughout the month.
“One cool thing about the school working closely with AIA Tampa Bay is that students have the opportunity to go to all of the events being hosted throughout the month,” MacLeod said.
On Nov. 5, renowned architect Alex Anmahian will be giving a public lecture at USF about his work. He will also be the lead juror at the AIA Tampa Bay 2013 Design Awards banquet to close out the month.
MacLeod said the school will also be opening a brand new exhibit for students on Oct. 28.
He encouraged students from all disciplines around the university and Tampa Bay community to participate in events and learn more about architecture in their community.
“Students will graduate and go on to start their own businesses or work for a business affected by architecture,” he said. “They will live in communities, cities and buildings created by architects or community designers. They may even hire an architect. All of these events are meant to show students how the built environment impacts us all, for better or for worse, every single day.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF football coach Willie Taggart says offensive excitement here to stay
- For USF volleyball's Dakota Hampton, winning is the only way
- Lack of warning during shooting concerns students
- USF lobbies for $22.5 million for downtown medical school
- Something’s got to give
- School, work and fun: a balancing act
- Tampa receives $2.4 million contract for transportation research
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Americans Prefer Cleaning Toilets Over Researching Health...
- Avoid Drugs and Surgery With Chiropractic Care
- Firefighter Battles Flames and Cancer
- Winter Is Coming: Is Your Fuel Ready?
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Think Your Grades Aren't Good Enough To Get into a Top-10 Business School? Think Again!
- Voto Latino to Gather Hundreds of Young Latinos for Major Summit in Silicon Valley
- October 8 is National Student Day
- KORU LAUNCHES NEW, UNIQUE JOB FINDER FOR COLLEGE GRADS
- Amazon Student Celebrates Fall with Exclusive Deals and Scholarships