School of Architecture celebrates 'Archtober'
Architecture is visible in every aspect of life. It’s in neighborhoods, businesses and on university campuses.
Beginning today, the American Institute of Architects (AIA) Tampa Bay and USF are partnering to bring the annual Archtober, a month-long celebration of architecture and design.
“We want to bring architecture to the forefront of the public eye during this month to make them realize just how much of an impact it has on their daily lives,” Robert MacLeod, director of the USF School of Architecture and Design, said.
The celebration begins with a screening of the documentary “Archiculture” at the Muvico in Ybor City on Thursday night at 6 p.m. According to the documentary’s website, the film “takes a thoughtful, yet critical look at the architectural studio.”
The film screening is followed by award ceremonies, learning events and lectures scattered throughout the month.
“One cool thing about the school working closely with AIA Tampa Bay is that students have the opportunity to go to all of the events being hosted throughout the month,” MacLeod said.
On Nov. 5, renowned architect Alex Anmahian will be giving a public lecture at USF about his work. He will also be the lead juror at the AIA Tampa Bay 2013 Design Awards banquet to close out the month.
MacLeod said the school will also be opening a brand new exhibit for students on Oct. 28.
He encouraged students from all disciplines around the university and Tampa Bay community to participate in events and learn more about architecture in their community.
“Students will graduate and go on to start their own businesses or work for a business affected by architecture,” he said. “They will live in communities, cities and buildings created by architects or community designers. They may even hire an architect. All of these events are meant to show students how the built environment impacts us all, for better or for worse, every single day.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Help Find the Best Cancer Treatments for Kids
- Are You Eating Enough Vegetables a Day?
- Encryption Technology for Your Privacy
- Get to Know Sarcoidosis: A Complex, Misunderstood Disease
- What Is Million?
- Sugar Gliders, Pangolins & Foxes, Oh My! New Novel...
- Mom Knows Best: Even When Buying a Mother's Day Gift
- What the H? Rhum Finally Arrives to the Cocktail Party
- Study Finds Boomers Are Sinking Their Teeth Into Looking...
- Think Your Data is Safe? Think Again
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere
- Ready for summer? Your next move can save you money, on self storage.
- GSK to Host "Rowing & Cycling Challenge" on World Meningitis Day
- Read the groundbreaking new book from Jeff Selingo, THERE IS LIFE AFTER COLLEGE
- ONE YOUNG WORLD'S ENVIRONMENT SUMMIT: THE ULTIMATE GRADUATION GIFT