School of Architecture celebrates 'Archtober'
Architecture is visible in every aspect of life. It’s in neighborhoods, businesses and on university campuses.
Beginning today, the American Institute of Architects (AIA) Tampa Bay and USF are partnering to bring the annual Archtober, a month-long celebration of architecture and design.
“We want to bring architecture to the forefront of the public eye during this month to make them realize just how much of an impact it has on their daily lives,” Robert MacLeod, director of the USF School of Architecture and Design, said.
The celebration begins with a screening of the documentary “Archiculture” at the Muvico in Ybor City on Thursday night at 6 p.m. According to the documentary’s website, the film “takes a thoughtful, yet critical look at the architectural studio.”
The film screening is followed by award ceremonies, learning events and lectures scattered throughout the month.
“One cool thing about the school working closely with AIA Tampa Bay is that students have the opportunity to go to all of the events being hosted throughout the month,” MacLeod said.
On Nov. 5, renowned architect Alex Anmahian will be giving a public lecture at USF about his work. He will also be the lead juror at the AIA Tampa Bay 2013 Design Awards banquet to close out the month.
MacLeod said the school will also be opening a brand new exhibit for students on Oct. 28.
He encouraged students from all disciplines around the university and Tampa Bay community to participate in events and learn more about architecture in their community.
“Students will graduate and go on to start their own businesses or work for a business affected by architecture,” he said. “They will live in communities, cities and buildings created by architects or community designers. They may even hire an architect. All of these events are meant to show students how the built environment impacts us all, for better or for worse, every single day.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Park on Collins renamed for USF "founding father" John F. Germany
- $10.85M donation to rename Collier Student Success Center in Muma College of...
- Big names announced for ULS, Frontier Forum, Homecoming
- USF volleyball earns pair of wins at FIU Panther Challenge
- USF men's soccer rolls past Missouri State in opener
- USF women's soccer blanks LIU, Mississippi State
- Letter to the Editor: Planned Parenthood
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Miss a Beat: Tips for Enjoying a Live Concert
- Tips to Enjoy Pest-Free Camping This Summer
- Los Hispanos Predominan En El Mercado De Regreso a Clases...
- Chiropractors Offer Advice to Those With Diabetes
- Waste and Recycling Jobs: Opportunities Are Plentiful
- Landfills: An Unexpected Source of Renewable Energy
- The Best Accessories are Easy, Convenient and Portable
- The Latest Buzz Phrase in Health Care
- Content Agency Promises the Best Bang for Your...
- The Best Accessories for Going Swimming