Rudd Jr. carries Bulls to win over Marist
Welcome to USF, Victor Rudd Jr.
USF may have found its next star Monday night against Marist in a comfortable 81-67 victory over the Red Foxes (0-2) at the St. Pete Times Forum.
Playing in his second game, Rudd, a sophomore transfer from Arizona State, took control when he exploded for 20 second-half points, giving the Bulls an idea of who their go-to scorer may be as the season wears on. Rudd finished with a game-high 30 points.
"I was just getting good looks," Rudd said. "If any other player had been scoring that well, it would have been him who kept getting the ball."
Rudd's impressive performance was the story of the game, given that the Bulls had only one 30-point performance all of last season - Augustus Gilchrist's 32-point night against DePaul.
"I've been bragging a bit on Rudd, and I didn't want to be eating crow, so it was nice to see him have a good game," coach Stan Heath said. "He showed a lot today, posting up, mid-range, a few 3s, showed a pretty good package."
The Bulls were fueled by Rudd's second-half points, nine of which came in a 15-0 run for the Bulls, taking them from a 46-42 deficit to a 57-46 lead. The Bulls never trailed from there.
Gilchrist notched a double-double and finished with 11 points and 12 rebounds, after only three first-half points.
One of the few issues for the Bulls was poor defense following timeouts. Marist managed to get two easy lay-ups and an open 3-pointer on set plays after timeouts.
"We need to work on our baseline defense," Heath said. "There were three times that we made mistakes, out of 10 chances. But the mistakes were noticeable, and came at times when we wanted to put the game away. Those kind of mistakes are unacceptable."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation
- UP arrests Clearwater man for sexual battery
- A student-driven upgrade: USF Health expands to better serve its students
- USF student interns in Florida Everglades
- Pokemon conquer campus: The new app “Pokemon Go” allows students to get act...
- We’ll always have Tampa: Tampa Theatre hosts Summer Classics Series
- O’Neal’s Olympic bid falls short
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Driver Safety: New Tips for Road Trips
- What to Ask About the Medicines You Take
- Summer Is the Perfect Time to Catch Up on Some Reading
- There's At Least One Thing Americans Are Satisfied With
- What to Look for in a New House This Home Buying Season
- Is Your Eye Makeup Making You Sick? What You Need to Know
- Biotech Companies Are Still the "It" Stock to Have in...
- Give Seniors a Lift With Household Chores
- On the Brink: Africa Viewed As Growth Target for Telecom
- Protect Your Family With Encryption
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Higher Education Goes Solar to Charge Mobile Devices
- Course Hero Beats Donation Goal for Books for Africa
- Course Hero Receives 2016 Top Workplace Award from Bay Area News Group
- Citavi Offers Summer Thesis-Writing Toolkit for Graduate Students
- Course Hero Welcomes Dr. Arthur Levine to their Advisory Board