Rudd Jr. carries Bulls to win over Marist
Welcome to USF, Victor Rudd Jr.
USF may have found its next star Monday night against Marist in a comfortable 81-67 victory over the Red Foxes (0-2) at the St. Pete Times Forum.
Playing in his second game, Rudd, a sophomore transfer from Arizona State, took control when he exploded for 20 second-half points, giving the Bulls an idea of who their go-to scorer may be as the season wears on. Rudd finished with a game-high 30 points.
"I was just getting good looks," Rudd said. "If any other player had been scoring that well, it would have been him who kept getting the ball."
Rudd's impressive performance was the story of the game, given that the Bulls had only one 30-point performance all of last season - Augustus Gilchrist's 32-point night against DePaul.
"I've been bragging a bit on Rudd, and I didn't want to be eating crow, so it was nice to see him have a good game," coach Stan Heath said. "He showed a lot today, posting up, mid-range, a few 3s, showed a pretty good package."
The Bulls were fueled by Rudd's second-half points, nine of which came in a 15-0 run for the Bulls, taking them from a 46-42 deficit to a 57-46 lead. The Bulls never trailed from there.
Gilchrist notched a double-double and finished with 11 points and 12 rebounds, after only three first-half points.
One of the few issues for the Bulls was poor defense following timeouts. Marist managed to get two easy lay-ups and an open 3-pointer on set plays after timeouts.
"We need to work on our baseline defense," Heath said. "There were three times that we made mistakes, out of 10 chances. But the mistakes were noticeable, and came at times when we wanted to put the game away. Those kind of mistakes are unacceptable."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Lightning’s Student Rush program continues to grow
- A look at the 2016-17 A&S budget
- Path to preeminence prompts office integration
- It’s time colleges reform their application process
- Freshman pitcher finds his stride in the bullpen
- Rise and shine: The awakening of USF’s sleeping giant
- Bedbugs found in USF business classrooms
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tips for Seniors Who Suffer From Muscle Aches and Pains
- A Safer Alternative to Opioids for Treating Chronic Pain
- A New Way to Deal With Dry Mouth
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Encourages Parents to Reclaim Family...
- Rolling Stones Exhibit Rocks Music Fans
- Enhance Your Summer Look With These Style Tips
- Hearing Loss Takes Center Stage With Free Test
- The Big Showdown Over Fingerprinting Uber and Lyft Drivers
- Encryption - Why It Matters to You
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- FINALS SUCK: JOLLY RANCHER CANDY EMBRACES THE LONGEST, SUCKIEST WEEK OF COLLEGE
- Facebook & America East To Keynote College Sports Summit, June 1-3, GA
- Sodexo Reveals The 20ish Under 20ish Hunger Squad For 2016
- American Cancer Society and CVS Health Launch Bold Initiative to Help
- Course Hero Launches New Android App to Help Students Study Anywhere